Moving an install to a new PC (Win 7 to Win 10)
Posted by: thecalcentre (---.range81-130.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 21, 2020 04:37PM

Hi All, I am afraid I am not an IT techie, and require some help/advice regarding moving an install....

Basically, we had a programmer write us a technical database utility whereby our in-house engineers could access the database and obtain fault information whilst repairing test equipment - they could also upload new faults etc along with technical information (datsa/spec sheets etc) - this was done many years ago and hosted on a Windows XP machine - when XP migrated to Windows 7 he came back and spent some time altering things to get it running on our Windows 7 machine - now Windows 7 has reached end-of-life, we are now running a building full of new Windows 10 machines, however we have this database running on an old Windows 7 machine, that is constantly crashing and freezing up - we need to now migrate onto a Win 10 machine.

I have installed WAMP server onto a machine and it all operates error free - but don't know what to do from here - I don't understand how the structure works to get the 'data' over from the old system to the new - is this something somebody could help with - willing to pay for remote access and install if this is what is required?

I know my way around a computer but this is out of my league - any help would be massively appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Moving an install to a new PC (Win 7 to Win 10)
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2020 04:50PM

Hi,

Basically, it's the same approach as Install a new release of Wampserver

You need to back up your local sites to a USB key or external drive and export your databases to SQL files and then restore them to the new installation.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: September 30, 2020 01:27PM

Otomatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> Basically, it's the same approach as
> [url=http://forum.wampserver.com/read.php?2,123606
> ]Install a new release of Wampserver[/url]
>
> You need to back up your local sites to a USB key
> or external drive and export your databases to SQL
> files and then restore them to the new
> installation.

I am unsure as to how to do this, can you help or offer any guidance please?

Date: October 01, 2020 04:16PM

Hi,

Under W7 :
- you save your local sites which, by default, are in folders located themselves in the wamp(64)/www/ folder.
- using PhpMyAdmin, you export your databases in SQL files

Under W10 :
- you restore the saved sites in the same path as under W7
- with PhpMyAdmin, you create your databases then you restore them by importing SQL files

If you were using VirtualHost, you must also submit the same C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file as under W7 as well as the wamp(64)\bin\apache\apache2.4.xy\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf file.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: October 05, 2020 12:51PM

Thanks for that info, to make matters worse now my original Win7 machine will no longer run the database, the WAMP icon will not change from orange to green - it appears to be MYSQL based after looking at the windows event viewer error logs (I have checked Port 80, etc) - will it be possible to proceed with the migration without this working?

I have a full backup of the directory off the old machine, it was installed under the WAMP folder - on the new Win10 machine it appears to have installed under a WAMP64 folder

Can I copy the files from the old www directory into the www directory within the WAMP64 folder?

When I try and login to PhpMyAdmin, it is asking for a username and password....what would I enter here as I haven't set one up as yet?

Date: October 05, 2020 02:30PM

Hi,

> it was installed under the WAMP folder - on the new Win10 machine it appears to have installed
> under a WAMP64 folder
This means that under Windows 7 you have Wampserver 32 bit and under Windows 10, Wampserver 64 bit.

Copying the folders of your local sites (wamp/www/myfolders/) from W7 to W10 will not cause problems.

For databases, I'm sorry, but the only solution is export/import in SQL files.
One could have tried to copy MySQL data folders, provided that it is exactly the same MySQL versions on both sides (W7 and W10), but since it is 32-bit versions on one side and 64-bit versions on the other, it has almost no chance to succeed.

As for PhpMyAdmin read Right-Click -> Help -> PhpMyAdmin Help

Date: October 05, 2020 03:10PM

OK, I have copied all the folders into the win 7 wamp/www to win 10 wamp64/www

I have used 'root' as the username to get me into the myadmin

I do have a backup of the database, albeit not a recent one, but it would be a start to see if I can get things working - not sure what I do next?

I can see an option to create a database, can this be any name? Also what language to choose?

Is there anything else I need to be doing?

Date: October 05, 2020 03:27PM

Hi,

> I can see an option to create a database, can this be any name? Also what language to choose?
The same name as your home base name
This is not a "language" but the character set used by default, choose the one that covers the most possibilities : utf8mb4_unicode_ci

After creating the database, you will be able to use "Import".

Date: October 05, 2020 04:04PM

I created a database - called it calcentre and then imported the backup

All the tables, etc are showing which is hopefully good news!

When I try and open localhost I get the following error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.

Apache/2.4.46 (Win64) PHP/7.3.21 Server at 192.168.1.18 Port 80

Date: October 05, 2020 04:33PM

Hi,

> When I try and open localhost I get the following error:
What do you call "localhost"?
Normally, localhost is 'http://localhost/' which is the home page of Wampserver.

> You don't have permission to access this resource.
Still, we need to know what "resource" we are talking about!
See in the Apache log files.

Date: October 05, 2020 04:45PM

I am just trying to open the database - I used to just type in http:192.168.1.18/site_htdocs

This would open the database application - I am clicking on the localhost tab at the top of the menu bar (left click)

I am unsure what the next steps are to access our database or to get it to work!?

Date: October 05, 2020 05:35PM

Hi,

> I am unsure what the next steps are to access our database or to get it to work!?
Not having developed your application, it is not possible for me to know what you should do.

Why IP 192.168.1.18 and not 'http://localhost/site_htdocs/'?

Date: October 05, 2020 05:46PM

Not sure why we used the IP address? It was accessed by multiple machines across the network, so assume it was so we could access the machine that the database was stored on?

If I use [localhost] I am getting the same error?

Date: October 05, 2020 05:58PM

Hi,

Before trying to access it from the network machines, first try to run it only from the machine on which it is installed.

Once there, the local access depends only on you, I can't do anything more to help you, except to tell you that local sites must use VirtualHost, as with all hosting providers.
See:
The need for Virtual Host
and
Wampserver 3 - Create or add a VirtualHost

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.