Need to upgrade php in wampserver 3.1.0 64bit
Posted by: james.mergenthaler (209.68.90.---)
Date: June 16, 2020 05:37PM

I run moodle on wampserver and just found out that moodle 3.9 requires PHP 7.2.

I am hoping I can update just the PHP using the wampserver3_x64_addon_pohp7.4.7.exe, that I downloaded from [wampserver.aviatechno.net], and not the entire Wampserver.

Question: Will this update know what to do when I run it on my server?

I plan to test the .exe file on a copy of the live server first.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need to upgrade php in wampserver 3.1.0 64bit
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2020 06:10PM

Hi,

This is not an update but an "addon".
That is to say that "addons" can be added to the active version of wampserver and all addons know very well where and how to install.
In this case : php 7.4.7, it can only be installed on wampserver 3.2.2, so you will have to update Wampserver 3.2.2, but before that there are some prerequisites to check, so :

- 1 - Verify that all VC ++ packages are installed and with the latest versions.
To do this, use the tool:
Checks VC++ packages installed
Do not use a previously loaded tool. Make a new download to make sure you are using the correct version.
To download missing packages, do not rely on Microsoft links, they are not reliable, download packages on http://wampserver.aviatechno.net in section Visual C++ Redistribuable Packages
Do not forget that if you have a 64 bit Windows, you must install both 32 and 64 bit versions of each package.
You must install each package "as an administrator", so right-click the exe file and then run as Administrator.

- 2 - Apply Update 3.2.2 to your version of Wampserver
Wampserver update 3.2.2

- 3 - Install PHP 7.4.7 addon

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: June 16, 2020 08:44PM

Could I install the php version 7.2.31 64bit x64 on Wamp 3.1.0 64bit ?

Then I would not have to update the Wamp, correct?

If so, then simply running the installer for the addon would do the trick?

I remember all the work updating from Wamp 2.5 to 3.1 and would like to avoid that if possible.

Thank you for your reply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2020 08:46PM by james.mergenthaler.

Date: June 16, 2020 09:56PM

Hi,

PHP 7.2.31 also requires Wampserver 3.2.2. Yes, PHP versions evolve and for them to be properly supported, Wampserver must evolve too.

But don't worry, upgrading your Wampserver 3.1.0 to 3.2.2 does not require any work on your part, except to launch the update as an administrator.
Wampserver update 3.2.2 updates only "Wampmanager", does not add any Apache PHP, MySQL or MariaDB versions. It is a cumulative update. It is not necessary to apply the old updates 3.0.1 to 3.2.1 before applying 3.2.2. There will be no changes to your Apache, PHP, MySQL, MariaDB settings and versions used; your local sites and databases will not be affected. This update is necessary to install the latest Apache, PHP, MySQL or MariaDB addons.

But first, don't forget to check the VC++ packages, it's essential, the latest versions of PHP are compiled with VS16 and won't work properly if you are not up to date with the VC++ packages.

Addons, whether for PHP, MySQL, Apache or MariaDB, install new versions where needed and with the necessary options and settings without you having to worry about anything.

You just have to "switch" to the new version of the addon installed by Left Click -> PHP -> Version and choose the version you want.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: June 16, 2020 11:09PM

Thank you for the detailed response. I appreciate it very much. I will check back in once I have completed this work.

James

Date: June 17, 2020 07:00PM

One more question. I have two servers to update. One is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, the other is running Windows Server 2016 standard. Are you aware of any issues with these updates on these servers? Especially the 2008 server.

thank you.

Date: June 17, 2020 08:35PM

Hi,

Windows Server 2008 corresponds to Windows 7 it seems to me.
Addons and updates installers support Windows 7 (6.1 minimum), so it should pass for Windows Server 2008.

The possible critical point could be the installations of the VC++ packages and mainly for VS16 if Microsoft does not allow their installation on Windows Server 2008.

Don't really forget to check VC++ package installations with the tool mentioned above.

Date: June 17, 2020 10:28PM

Yes sir, I wont forget the VC ++ packages, I remember them from the last upgrade.... how important they were. So my steps look like this.

1) unzip and Run all_vc_redist_x86_x64

2) run the wampserver3_x86_x64_update3.2.2

3) run wmapserver3_x64_addon_php7.4.7

then the moodle updates

Sound right?

Thank you again for your help. it has been, well helpful and de-stressing.

Date: June 17, 2020 10:47PM

Hi,

That's right !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.