virtual server via LAN home shared network
Posted by: LivingThis (---.cable.dynamic.v4.ziggo.nl)
Date: April 07, 2020 11:09AM

If I would want to run scripts over a shared LAN home network what are the required settings then?

I have WAMP installed on a laptop which has access to a hard disk on another machine but I cant seem to find the proper INSTALL_DIR.

I read this
[stackoverflow.com]
topic at stack

but my INSTALL DIR is : \\Huiskamer\a wamp desktop\wamp64

Can it be done if the installation directory is like this and how?
Or should I change any other settings to make it possible ?

I run WAMP 3.x on windows 10 both machines

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: virtual server via LAN home shared network
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2020 11:39AM

Hi,

Can you be a little more specific please.

You have WAMPServer installed on the Laptop, I get that, but what is on the other PC's disk. I mean is it a web site code or what?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2020 12:53PM

Hi,

> INSTALL DIR is : \\Huiskamer\a wamp desktop\wamp64
Installing Wampserver on a network disk and not on the system disk is a bad idea.
Installing Wampserver in a folder whose path includes spaces is a bad idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: April 07, 2020 02:32PM

I have wamp installed on both machines.
Until now I have always used PC 1 (desktop) as an offline WAMP server, with several virtual hosts configured.

Both machines have windows 10
I used network sharing to get access with the laptop machine to the hard drive of PC 1.

both machines show a green wamp icon.

Until now I have not been able to get a virtual host index page , like localhost or 127.0.0.1 in the browser where the scripts are from the directory at PC 1 and the browsers calls from the laptop ( computer 2)

On both machines I have this vhosts settings

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName lokaal
ServerAlias lokaal
DocumentRoot "Huiskamer/a wamp desktop/wamp64/www"
<Directory "Huiskamer/a wamp desktop/wamp64/www/">
Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Require all granted
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

only the laptop has the etc/hosts file configured for lokaal

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2020 03:18PM

Hi,

Ahh I see, well there are a couple of things here that need mentioning.

1. If you use `127.0.0.1` or `localhost` on any PC/Laptop both those addresses mean THIS PC AND ONLY THIS PC, so they will never address any other PC/webserver. This is because these addresses are burnt into the network stack and were originally designed only for the use of engineers testing things on a PC.

2. If you want to access the site lokaal from the browser on an PC that is NOT THE ONE HOSTING THAT SITE, then you have a few options:

- a - Amend the HOSTS file on the browser PC to know about your domain. So if site is on IP 192.168.1.10 then on the other PC change HOSTS like

192.168.1.10 lokaal

- b - Install a DNS Server (this I wont cover, its a serious job and not for the faint heated)

- c - Address the site using a different post number. This is useful for things like Phones and Tablets where you cannot change the HOSTS file. See this post for how I have implemented that approach in the past. It can be used to allow the Laptop to address a site on the Desktop as well of course. Its on StackOverflow

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 07, 2020 04:12PM

no DNS set up is not what I want at the moment.

So for me this is done now.

Thanks for the effort explaining anyway

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.