[noob admin]A little guidance with Apache permission directives?
Posted by: Twisted_Code (---.229.147.83.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 16, 2020 05:41PM

[noob admin]A little guidance with Apache permission directives?
So I just set up Wamp for my first time ever, and although I can see the test page on localhost (took a bit of tweaking Windows firewall rules, but I got it), I am having a bit of trouble configuring it so that external clients (or even browsers on my LAN) and see it instead of getting 403 Forbidden. Namely, my problem is... I honestly don't have a freaking clue what I'm doing.
Like, I tried looking through the Apache directive documentation linked at the top of the httpd.conf (the link that, along with text explaining what the config does in basic terms, is commented out), but there's a lot of directives here and I don't know where to start. I know what I want: I basically want people with certain whitelisted public IP addresses (friends that will need to access my server) to have permission to the full site, a web service I know of but don't know the IP of to have permission to a specific file, and everyone else (at least for the time being) to be denied; the problem is I just I don't know how to accomplish that. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Answers to the questions on "read (and answer) before you ask a question":
1. Windows version: Windows 7 (a 64-bit virtual machine managed by VMware)
2. WampServer version: 3.2.0 64-bit
3. Apache version: 2.4.41 (64-bit according to the Wamp test page)
4. PHP version: 7.3.12
5. MySQL version: 8.0.18 (Maria DB 10.4.10)
6. Icon status: Its green (all 3 services started)
7. Active hosts (Do I actually need this one? It was grouped with "if the WampServer icon is NOT GREEN" stuff):
#
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
8. Wamp homepage: I can access the test page just fine, and there's no error message. I think I'm just having trouble configuring the server for what I want
9. "Do you have access to phpMyAdmin": Probably? I don't actually know what that is though; I'm completely new at this
10. Error message: N/A
11. Antivirus/firewall: I don't think these are the issue (other computers on my LAN, at least, are able to at least talk to Apache well enough to get HTTP status 403: forbidden), but I have just Windows defender and whatever firewalls/networking are implemented by VMware and my Netgear router
12. Installation path: C:\wamp64\
13. Virtual hosts: haven't done anything with those yet (nor, indeed, do I know what they're for) so it's just the default localhost

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [noob admin]A little guidance with Apache permission directives?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2020 05:55PM

Go to the httpd-vhost.conf file. Use the link in the wampmanager menus

wampmanager->Apache->httpd-vhosts.conf

In the VirtualHosts you want to allow access for change

Require local

to

Require ip 192.168.1

To allow anyone on your local network access ( assuming your local network is on subnet `192.168.1`

At least untill you have a better idea what you are doing, DONT do `Require all granted` as that will allow all the bad actors on the network to pop in and see if they can crack your system smiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2020 11:16AM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: Twisted_Code (---.229.147.83.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 16, 2020 06:26PM

okay and to allow other specific IP addresses from the WAN, I could do the same thing with Require IP <their IP address>, right?
thanks!

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2020 07:13PM

Hi,

See Apache documentation.!

There is link in Riggsfolly signature and in the Apache submenu of Left-click Wampmanager tray icon

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.