Server Broken After Upgrade
Posted by: wernejo (---.static.vic.asp.telstra.net)
Date: March 16, 2020 06:47AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure what I've done but my local wamp server is no longer letting me install Joomla websites. A few weeks back, I installed the latest Php version along with some other wamp/apache upgrades and since then, nothing has been the same.

Currently, I am unable to get passed step 3 of the installation. The database is created and populated but the process keeps bringing me back to that particular step. I've also tried doing a manual installation where I removed the installation directory and configured the configuration.php file manually. However, that didn't work either. I tried doing the "reinstall all services" option and that just killed PhPmyAdmin.

I've also tried installing xampp with no luck either. I kept getting the same issue, no matter what PHP version I installed. I've now removed xampp and done a fresh install of wamp to see if that helped and still nothing. I did make sure to rename the old wamp directory so it wouldn't install over the top of the old installation. When I did the original wamp updates, I did install some extra core updates for my computer that where recommend for when you upgrade wamp server but I can't work out if that's caused the issue or not. Nor can I recall what those upgrades were.

Can anyone please help me as I use Joomla for work and need to get some kind of local server up and running ASAP.

I've looked around on the forum and other help sites, I've tried making changes to the joomla.sql file in the installation directory, changing the php.int file, and nothing seems to work.

Any help would be a huge help.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Server Broken After Upgrade
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2020 10:26AM

Hi,

Step3? Please do not assume we are Joomla experts and know what that is! And also assume we will not install Joomla just to find out !!

The phrase Didn't work is supremely unhelpful. It conveys nothing of use to us !

It is always useful to know the answers to these questions, so can you answer them please READ (and answer) BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2020 01:20AM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: wernejo (---.static.vic.asp.telstra.net)
Date: March 20, 2020 01:15AM

@RiggsFolly - Sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect. Here are the answers to the 13 questions

1 - Windows version used (Specify version number AND whether 32 or 64 bit)
Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit OS, x64-based processor, build: 183262

2 - Version WampServer (Specify version number AND whether 32 or 64 bit)
WampServer version 3.2.0, 64 bit

3 - Apache Version: 2.4.41

4 - PHP Version: 7.0.33 - currently selected
also installed: 5.6.40, 7.1.33, 7.2.25, 7.3.12, 7.4.0

5 - MySQL Version: 5.7.28

5a - MariaDB version if applicable: 10.4.10

6 - What colour is the WampServer icon (in the notification area of the taskbar): green

When all goes well it should be green, but it may be red or orange.

7 - In the file c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts, what are the active lines?
* Active means no # at the beginning of the line.
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

127.0.0.1 saje
::1 saje

If the WampServer icon is green:

8 - Do you have access to localhost (Homepage WampServer)? Yes
8a - If so, is there an error message at the bottom of the page? No

9 - Do you have access to phpMyAdmin? Yes

10 - If you refer to an error message, please include the EXACT wording of the error in your post
This is the error message I get when the joomla instalation is trying to create the new database in phpMyAdmin. "Error
Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Could not connect to MySQL server."
11 - If you use an Antivirus and / or Firewall, please include the names of these: Malware Bites, bit defender
12 - What is the full path to the installation of WampServer (eg D:\wamp\) D:\wamp64\
13 - If you have one or more Virtual Hosts defined, please show their definition(s) None

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2020 08:56AM

Hi,

See Right-Click wampmanager tray icon -> Help -> MariaDB - MySQL

> 13 - If you have one or more Virtual Hosts defined, please show their definition(s) None

Joomla, like all CMS and web applications, must be installed in a VirtualHost, as with all hosting providers. With a web host, you don't realize that your CMS will be installed in a VirtualHost since this VirtualHost already exists since it is the host who created it.

See The need for Virtual Host and Wampserver 3 - Create or add a VirtualHost

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2020 10:33AM by Otomatic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.