about:blank#blocked
Posted by: Diabolik123 (109.204.75.---)
Date: March 02, 2020 04:13PM

Hi guys

I have set up a website for (only) local use for my company. It's written in HTML, and I've used WYSIWYG editor for it.

The website is working (almost) flawless with the only issue being accessing files I have put as hyperlinks targeting a local folder all (M:network drive) the computers use.

Thing is if I preview my website from the editor, everything is working fine! If I publish my website using wamp, it doesn't load at all, but if I open in a new tab, it says about:blank@blocked so that might be the issue!

I've been googling for like a hour or so to find something similar but I couldn't find anything useful. sad smiley

I'm open to any suggestions to make this thingy work!
Cheers,
Dan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: about:blank#blocked
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2020 04:48PM

Hi,

> with the only issue being accessing files I have put as hyperlinks targeting a local folder
> all (M:network drive) the computers use.

That's the problem.

Your links (<a href='...'>my link</a>winking smiley are poorly defined and are blocked by browsers.

And, in no way this is due to Wampserver.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: March 03, 2020 05:59PM

Hi Otomatic

If you are kind, can you please tell me how I can solve this issue? Is there any kind of workaround to make it work?

I understand it's a not a wampserver issue. Perhaps I have to modify the HTML files myself?

Cheers,
Dan.

Date: March 03, 2020 06:41PM

Hi,

You can use the source of the page being viewed - usually Ctrl-U - and look at how the links are constructed with an example of what is in the <a>...</a> tag that is problematic and you will need to correct the corresponding html files.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: March 04, 2020 11:03AM

Hi Otomatic

I had a look at one of the pages with this particular issue. I have checked the source (CTRL+U), and I have located the following lines that define the buttons.

<a id="Button1" href="file:///C:/GDSLab/GDS HASP Module Checker.exe" style="position:absolute;left:626px;top:238px;width:91px;height:19px;z-index:5;">GO</a>

<a id="Button2" href="file:///M:/Databases/GDSLAB Customer Modules.xlsx" style="position:absolute;left:995px;top:149px;width:91px;height:19px;z-index:6;">GO</a>

Can you please advise on what's going wrong since my programming/html skills are limited.

I guess I have to use <a href=..> instead of <a id=..>

Cheers,
Dan.

Date: March 04, 2020 06:18PM

Hi,

By definition, protocol using "file:///URLs" are system-dependent. But browsers refuse to follow file: links on a page that it has fetched with the HTTP protocol, so that the page's own URL is an http: URL. When you click on such a link, nothing happens or blank page or error. The purpose is security: to prevent a remote page from accessing files in the visitor’s computer or files in the server filesystem.

The files you want to access must be located in the site tree.
For example you can use:

href="/GDSLab/GDS HASP Module Checker.exe"

And, even in this case, the file will not be executed but possibly offered for download.

Date: March 05, 2020 03:16PM

Hi otomatic

Is there no way I can make it pull files directly from the shared local disk? They get changed quite frequently.

Cheers,
Dan.

Date: March 06, 2020 02:49PM

Hi,

May be use Alias : Mapping URLs to Filesystem Locations

Always RTFM

Date: March 06, 2020 04:35PM

Hi Otomatic

Thanks for your help! I'll have a look next week.

Dan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.