PHP mail SMTP server response: 550 Access denied
Posted by: pduclos (---.209-160-184.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: February 18, 2020 01:07AM

Hello,

I've been trying to test my first contact form in a web site I'm learning to put together and I am at the testing phase for the contact form using WAMP (3.2.0) PHP Version 7.3.12. I configured the php.ini file with the SMTP info my web host gave me, but I get connection errors using either port 25 and 26. Port 25 gave me "failed to connect to web server" and port 26 was more cryptic with "SMTP server response: 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)". So at this point WampServer is kind of useless to me and I figure I might as well just uninstall it and just connect to my host cPanel and just do my testing directly there... I'm trying to find some answers with search engines, but most of the links that come up don't apply or are way above my head in comprehention. I've seen several tutorial videos on php/html contact forms and what to do to configure the PHP to be able to send mail and they all seemed so easy. "Use php Mail!" they said! "It'll be fun!" they said... :-/
Any feedback would be welcomed! I'll work on some other parts of the web site in the mean time. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PHP mail SMTP server response: 550 Access denied
Posted by: ayesh3p2 (---.129.93.111-tataidc.co.in)
Date: February 18, 2020 09:49AM

Hi pduclos,

1. Have you checked whether your email server have 2FA? If yes, you have to create app password under account settings to enable smtp, imap or pop.
2. Have you enabled "less secure apps" to accept connection from 3rd party software.
3. Are you using correct port for smtp server. Check your email server's SMTP configuration guide for correct SMTP Port and settings.

If this help, let me know.

Re: PHP mail SMTP server response: 550 Access denied
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2020 10:45AM

Hi,

While this is a long long way from a WAMPServer issue, it would have been really quite useful to know what your hosting company suggested AND what you actually did.

I am guessing that the tool for you would be phpMailer, a PHP library that takes most of the pain out of sending email when you dont have your own MailServer. Did you use that or are you just attempting to use the PHP mail() function.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.