MySql Localhost
Posted by: Malcolm (---.nb02.nsw.asp.telstra.net)
Date: February 22, 2020 07:27AM

Today I updated wampserver from 3.1.7 to 3.2.0 and found a problem logging in my virtual websites. When using mysqli_connect() I had been satisfactorily using 'localhost' as the host but the new version requires 'localhost:3308', as I choose to use MySql, not MariaDB.
However, my webhost accepts 'localhost' or 'localhost:3306'. I do not want to edit my websites with wampserver then change mysqli_connect parameters before uploading to my webhost. Is there some way to continue using 'localhost' (without ':3308') in wampserver?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MySql Localhost
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2020 09:33AM

Right-Click Wampmanager tray icon -> Help -> MySQL - MariaDB

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: February 22, 2020 10:58PM

Thank you for your comment.
I have used many versions of wampserver over many years and am always reluctant to update as there are invariably new quirks to discover, involving much time and inconvenience. For example, the current problem started with an inability to log on my website. The PHP error message implied an incorrect database privilege so I reconfigured all the privileges. That didn't help so I tried other fixes in vain. In all, it took about three to four hours to discover that I had a MySql port problem and fix it. I had planned my day but hadn't allowed for wampserver quirks.
Wampserver is very useful software but the writers need to understand that software quirks need to be understood before they lead to problems. How was I to immediately conclude a port problem when mysqli_connect() was not working?
Your forum is good for solving problems once a diagnosis is made by the user, but much time is wasted before that. I believe it would be much better to issue configuration notes with each version of your software to warn about the inevitable idiosyncrasies. Heeding advice and warnings is much easier than solving problems!

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2020 09:44AM

Hi,

Reading the warnings and the changelog is a minimum to do for the user.
You could have read :

To use or disable MariaDB/MySQL read the file mariadb_mysql.txt or Right-click Wampmamager icon then Help -> MariaDB - MySQL

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: February 23, 2020 10:11AM

I am sorry you needed to respond in an arrogant manner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.