Dazed and Confused...
Posted by: redbrick (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 12, 2020 11:43PM

Gracious Moderators,

I am out of ideas and I humbly request for some guidance and suggestions. I have recently installed the 64bit version of WAMP 3.2. on the VM workstation Pro 12. The host and client specs are as follows:

VM # 1 - The host:
1) Windows 7sp1 Utlimate x64
2) Bridged NAT at 192.168.1.105
3) Installed all VC_Redist and confirmed by your little app.
4) Disabled Firewall
5) IIS disabled via crtl panel/uninstall app/…
6) I get a beautiful green icon at the task bar.
7) Setup database ‘demosite’ language ‘Collation.’
8) Setup/install Wordpress account
9) Setup a generic test blog site.
10) Setup virtualhost (This is where stuff starts to get interesting….)
a. demotest.test
b. C:\wamp64\www\wordpress\
11) Edit vhost.conf to ‘Require all granted’ under demotest.test entry

VM # 2 The client:
1) Debian 10 buster
2) Bridge NAT at 192.168.1.108
3) Launched terminal ‘ping 192.168.1.105’….responds well.
4) ‘Ping demotest.test’ …nothing.

I must be missing something really simple. Break out the Google-foo…search and search… Combing through this forum….maybe corrupt hosts file? Okay, recreate host file…. Maybe browser block? Okay, reset VM# 1 repeat install but use different browser. Still no access. So for giggles, I edit the vhost.conf and change ‘Require local’ under ‘localhost’ entry to ‘…grant all.’ Restart DNS…back to VM # 2, but enter the ip in the browser instead and I can now pull up the WAMPSERVER homepage! WTH! Awesome I think, I must be on to something….but still not sure what. While on the homepage (still on VM #2) I double-click on the ‘demotest.test’ link….nothing…. what am I missing here? I almost forgot to mention that my intent is to use VM #2 to access publications from VM # 1.. Thanks for your time and attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2020 07:25AM by redbrick.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dazed and Confused...
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2020 10:24AM

Hi,

Well done you are doing better than most who stop by here.

Ok what you forgot is that in the real world when you invent a domain (buy a domain) that new domain gets registered with the global DNS system.
So when a browser or any software is asked for the new domain, it queries the DNS to find the ip address to go to to find it.

Your new domain name is not registered in the DNS and therefore software cannot find its ip address in the normal way.

In your VM # 2 The client:
You now need to tell the PC where to find `demotest.test`.
You cannot tell the real DNS about it without a purchase, so you seed the local DNS Cache by adding your domain name to the `HOSTS` file.
I dont know debian, so I looked on good-old-google and it appears to be in `\etc\hosts` (but dont quote me)

So edit that and add a line like

192.168.1.xxx  demotest.test

Where the ip address in there is the ip address of the PC running WAMPServer i.e. Apache (which of course shoul dbe set to a statis IP so it cannot change after a reboot.

Then either reboot or refresh the local DNS Cache, I found various ways in google of doing that, so I will leave you to find one that works for you. If in doubt just reboot the VM.

Additional Note
If you have a local DNS Server you can register your test domain with that, but that process is outside our brief here so thats all you get from me on that one smiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: February 13, 2020 03:33PM

...tuning in Johnny Nash ...I can see clearly now the rain is gone!

Thanks. That’s what I wondered but kept second guessing myself.. I even locked up every client in my network with the router just for grins. Wife said the closest I’m going to get to a local DNS server is going to be OpenDNS...here I come….sign me up.

I just setup a LAMP and I can honestly say I would’ve have been so lost if I didn’t mess with this first.

Should anyone else read this thread...stay away from the LAMP-on-a-stick!

...man things have really changed since the days of mosaic/Netscape.

Thank you, you’ve been very helpful.

Red.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2020 07:06PM

My comment about a local DNS system, was supposed to be a joke.
Dont go there unless you are prepared to do a lot of research

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: February 13, 2020 07:58PM

:-) 10-4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.