Worthwhile moving from 32bit to 64bit?
Posted by: LeMarque (---.cybermesa.com)
Date: January 18, 2020 08:47PM

I've been running the 32bit WAMP for some time now. My desktop, Win10, is an i7 3.6GHZ NMVe/SSD drives w/32 gigs of RAM.

I'm not concerned about keeping any of my local sites. So, two questions:

1.) Will the 64bit version provide any meaningful increase in speed. That is, will my localhost sites load faster to make it worthwhile uninstalling and re-installing?

2.) If the answer to 1. is YES, do I need to do anything more than uninstall the 32bit version via Windows > Apps > Uninstall?

TIA

Re: Worthwhile moving from 32bit to 64bit?
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2020 10:09PM

Hi,

Switching to 64 bit will bring you full 64 bit support, but I'm afraid it won't bring anything in terms of page loading speed.

If you don't have any concerns about your local sites or databases, a simple uninstall of the 32 bit version can be followed by the installation of the 64 bit version.

It is quite possible to have both 32 and 64 bit versions of Wampserver installed together on the same machine, the only constraint being to run only one of the two versions at the same time.

Before installing Wampserver :
- Verify that all VC ++ packages are installed and with the latest versions.
To do this, use the tool:
Checks VC++ packages installed
Do not use a previously loaded tool. Make a new download to make sure you are using the correct version.
To download missing packages, do not rely on Microsoft links, they are not reliable, download packages on http://wampserver.aviatechno.net in section Visual C++ Redistribuable Packages
Do not forget that if you have a 64 bit Windows, you must install both 32 and 64 bit versions of each package.
You must install each package "as an administrator", so right-click the exe file and then run as Administrator.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: LeMarque (---.cybermesa.com)
Date: January 20, 2020 07:06PM

Thanks Otto

I'll install the 64bit version. But last question; after installing, can I remove the 32bit without affecting the 64bit install?

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2020 07:21PM

Hi,

> can I remove the 32bit without affecting the 64bit install?

No problem to remove the 32 bit version, it won't affect the 64 bit version.
But, since it deletes the whole folder, make sure you have recovered all sites and databases beforehand.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.