Virtual Host Names vs Real Domain Name/Store URL's
Posted by: Maryando (---.as13285.net)
Date: November 18, 2019 01:32AM

Hello Guys!

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me my newbie question and be gentlesmiling smiley
I have created two virtual hosts for two projects on PrestaShop.
Let say the real domains are megastore.co.uk and megastore.de

I understand that the virtual hostname I have created works as a local domain.
What I'm concerned about are the database and store URLs.

So, for example, I have created my projects in the following locations:
C:/WebProjects/megastoreuk
C:/WebProjects/megastorede

Now my local domains are megastoreuk and megastorede

So in the database instead of the real domain name, I will have them local ones.
So as far as I understand those just need to be replaced before moving to the real hosting?

If yes can I use folder names as megastore.co.uk and megastore.de so they will be correct already in the database and Presta installation files, saving me messing with the database tables?

Thank you so much for your time.
Best Regards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virtual Host Names vs Real Domain Name/Store URL's
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2019 04:52AM

Hi,

We here are not PrestaShop experts.
You might be better to ask these questions of the Prestashop support site.

However, ye you can use any VALID folder name to hold your site, that is one of the reasons to use VirtualHost

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: November 18, 2019 11:58AM

Hello RiggsFolly

First of all, thank you for all the work you do on WAMP project! I forgot to add this before, and thank you for the answer.
I didn't ask about Prestashop I only said as maybe a useful piece of information that I'm developing on Presta. This is actually no matter what platform I'm building the website on. The principals of database and configurations files are the same.

This virtual domain/folder name works as a standard domain adding to the database URL's prefix meegastore.co.uk all I'm asking is how is advised to work. Adding a name which is easy to replace for example:
"megastoreDev" or using real domain address as a Virtual Host? I'm not sure if dots are allowed at all, but just asking what is the correct and the best way.
I'm sure as a developer you know this smiling smiley

Once again thank you so much for your time, and sorry for my newbie questions...
Best Regards

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2019 03:59PM

Ah ok.

Its not a newbie question, its quite a tickler really.

Sites that place their domain name in the database as a real pain in the proverbial WordPress smiling smiley Are you saying the PrestaShop does this?

I have to admit I am a little confused as the database does not have a url.

I think you are asking....

Well you could use the real intended domain name in the VH like microsoft.com.
However as soon as you add that to the HOSTS file, as you must do, it would mean that from this PC you would not be able to get to the real microsoft.com any more.

If you are asking the best name to use so that you can find and replace it later when it is stored in the database. Thats up to you. Maybe if the live site will be called megastore.com you could use megastore.test..

Avoid a `.dev` extension for your development. Google bought that whold extension and Chrome now makes serious assumptions when it is used. So basically that is not usable anymore

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: November 18, 2019 04:30PM

Thanks so much for getting back to me. That's pretty clears everything up for mesmiling smiley
I will avoid using DEV then.

Once again thank you for taking the time and answering me.
Have a great day!
Best Regards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.