Server not found
Posted by: Janeallison (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2019 04:47PM

I have read other posts, but I'm afraid I do not understand many of them. I installed WAMP as an administrator, created a project, and I thought I was ready to go, but I get this message, no matter which browser I use:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at prstest.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I turned my Norton and malwarebytes firewalls off, but I get the same thing. I am using Windows 10.

What can I do to fix this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Server not found
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2019 05:58PM

Hi,

As explained in the user instructions displayed at the end of the installation and repeated in the instructions_for_use.pdf file, you must use VirtualHost for your local sites, as it is done by all hosting providers.

See The need for Virtual Host and Wampserver 3 - Create or add a VirtualHost

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: October 10, 2019 02:55AM

I'm sorry, but I don't know what Virtualhost is. Is it a browser?

Date: October 10, 2019 03:09AM

OK...I created a virtual host named Jane and that seemed to work. However, the browser still can't find my server. I am clicking on my project link from the localhost page (the directory is called prstest). Perhaps that's not right. I followed the direction to restart DNS and I restarted wamp, but there must be something else I am not doing. I am new to this, so I would very much appreciate your help.

Posted by: teamzhamilton (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 15, 2019 08:42AM

yes and when you installed the WAMP server did you specify FIrefox as your default web browser?

See this install video on youtube Suppressed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2019 09:10AM by Otomatic.

Date: October 15, 2019 09:14AM

Hi,

There is absolutely no need for video to install Wampserver.
All you have to do is know how to read - English or French - and not be a crazy clicker who clicks on all the buttons without reading anything.
Especially since these videos are never kept up to date.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: Janeallison (---.sdst.org)
Date: October 15, 2019 06:27PM

Yes, I specified Firefox

Date: October 15, 2019 06:28PM

There is no need to be rude. I don't find your support very helpful. I've already said I am new to this and appreciate your help, not belittlement.

Date: October 15, 2019 07:14PM

Hi,

I have already provided you with two links that explain what VirtualHost is and how to create them with Wampserver, I repeat them below:

See The need for Virtual Host and Wampserver 3 - Create or add a VirtualHost

> There is no need to be rude.
This is not, in any way, rude, but a statement. One more observation that for an Apache, PHP, MySQL server, videos, whatever they are, do not bring anything at all, except confuse the user.
There is no "support" for Wampserver, there is possible help on this forum from RiggsFolly and mine, because we want it.

For all intents and purposes, I would like to point out that the links I have just posted to you for the second time are the same as those that exist in the explanatory text displayed at the end of the Wampserver installation and included in the document wamp(64)/instructions_for_use.pdf

I also point out that VirtualHost exists with all hosting providers, but you don't realize it because it already exists when you install your site and was created by the host.

Date: October 15, 2019 08:30PM

You may not feel it's rude, but I am a teacher and if I treated my students the way you've treated me I would be out of a job. I will read your links AGAIN. You seem to think everyone has the background knowledge that you do and can read your extremely technical instructions once and know just what to do. You are throwing around jargon that is new to me. If I could find another program that allows me to simulate a joomla server I would surely use it.

Date: October 15, 2019 08:32PM

You may not feel it's rude, but I am a teacher and if I treated my students the way you've treated me I would be out of a job. I will read your links AGAIN. You seem to think everyone has the background knowledge that you do and can read your extremely technical instructions once and know just what to do. You are throwing around jargon that is new to me. If I could find another program that allows me to simulate a joomla server I would surely use it.

For what it's worth I still don't understand what virtual host IS

Posted by: teamzhamilton (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 16, 2019 03:27AM

Hi Janel, sorry they edited out the Youtube link to the professor in Cincinnati who actually teaches a class using WAMP servers. One would think they would not have issues with that video since he promotes WAMP but then it does violate EULA and he (oto) is right that many of these videos are out of date.

However this one is very - "WAMP FOR DUMMIES" and it helped me a lot - my issue was the lack of updated Dll files and he made it all easy. Yes Oto you do mention this in your "HOW TO's"

As you state Janel, you have pointed your WAMP to Firefox and I assume you use notepad to get into the config file to make sure all points to Firefox, then I will also assume that you are running "Green" on WAMP.

IF that is the case, then your issue is likely with your other program that you are working upon in your WAMP server or where you are placing it on your WAMP server - should be in your www. file. Perhaps you may find a better answer on that secondary program (Joomla). Sry I can't help as I use this for Wordpress...

Best of luck to you.

And Oto, I know you think that your instructions are easy to follow but you are a techy and not everyone thinks the way you do, so sometimes you actually have to explain it every which way possible until you believe it is ad nauseam. Remember, not everyone's brain is wired the same way.

Date: October 16, 2019 10:07AM

Hi,

@ Janeallison
As a teacher, you should know that knowledge is not innate and requires a lot of effort and time to acquire.

I provide you with an Apache, PHP, SQL WEB server that installs in three clicks and integrates most of the tools needed to run the server.
From the moment you have installed wampserver you take the roles of:
- Network administrator
- Web server administrator
- Database Administrator
- Developer
- Analyst
- Programmer.
- etc.
The knowledge necessary for all these roles cannot be part of the package and Wampserver does not have Albus Perceval Wulfric Brian Dumbledore in its installation that could, with a magic wand, automatically and effortlessly put this knowledge in your brain in three clicks.

On the other hand, all links on the documentation related to Apache, PHP, MySQL and MariaDB are an integral part of the Wampserver package and, here too, it only takes three clicks to access them.

Let's go back to our business, or rather the VirtualHost.

You have seen that by launching 'http://my-folder/', it doesn't work.
The "http" protocol does not know what to do with the folder, it lacks a lot of information and that is why, in short, there is an error.

It is the role of VirtualHost to provide the necessary information.
In a way, a VirtualHost is a box, virtual of course, but a box that will contain information like :
- Site name (ServerName)
- Where is the site (DocumentRoot) and on which storage device?
- Site folder (<Directory) parameters such as access permissions, possible url rewriting, and others.
This simply allows the 'http' protocol to display the page in a browser.

Apache Documentation : [httpd.apache.org]

Date: October 16, 2019 01:48PM

Now that is a beautiful and elegant explanation. Thank you very much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.