Windows Update issue
Posted by: DjTaz (83.167.250.---)
Date: April 15, 2006 11:54PM

I just did the windows update that was containted in the auto updates for Win XP Professional (auto installed on 15th April 2006) and now wamp wont work.

I tried a re-install and still nothing - anyone know anything about this ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Windows Update issue
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2006 03:40AM

Make sure IIS is not running. since IIS is a webserver, it uses the same port as apache (80). It that port is being used, apache will not start.

Date: April 16, 2006 08:20AM

Thanks for the reply CyberSpatium - I dont even have IIS installed -and everything was working perfectly until windows decided to update itself.

Im not too sure what exactly it did in the updates , but there were 5 of them in all , and that seems to be the only application it effected.

If anyone else has any ideas , id appeciate them - i have tried a full re-install of wamp with the php plugin , but still the same.

I just noticed also that it throws up this error :
The configuration file contains a syntax error on line 568: [EParseError] [Config] section directive "ImageList" already specified.

but this is a fresh install , unless some of the files stayed :s - ill keep at it.

Posted by: kernelpanic (---.dynamic81215151241.ttnet.net.tr)
Date: April 16, 2006 04:14PM

where did you get this error "The configuration file contains a syntax error on line 568: [EParseError] [Config] section directive "ImageList" already specified."?

are services apache & mysql running properly?

my services are running properly and i got no errors while installing wamp but when i try [localhost] , it hangs and doesn't do anything. i can't open phpmyadmin neither.

i tried apache2triad, easyphp as i did on wamp, they all get stuck when i try to go to [localhost]. it seems like page is loading but waiting never ends..

Date: April 16, 2006 11:52PM

DjTaz, I forgot to mention when you upgrade windows to sp2, it installs Windows Firewall. You need to make sure Windows Firewall allows access to apache and mysql.
To access Windows Firewall setting click on:
Start Button ->Control Panel->Windows Firewall

To enable apache, click on the Exceptions tab, and then click on the Add Program button and add the Apache.exe file to the Exception list:
C:\wamp\Apache2\bin\Apache.exe

Also add mysql to the Windows FIrewall exception list:
C:\wamp\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt.exe

Kernelpanic, add these lines to your httpd.conf file:

EnableSendfile Off
EnableMMAP Off
Win32DisableAcceptEx

Date: April 17, 2006 12:20AM

kernelpanic - i get that when i try to manually start WAMP - it pops up in an error box.

CyberSpatium - I have the windows firewall disabled and i use Zone Alarm instead - i would get a notification if it needed to change anything but i havent got a thing.
Its driving me mad because i cant see any reason for it.

Date: April 17, 2006 02:50AM

you say you get this error message when you start apache, have you edited the httpc.conf file in any way?

I have WIndows XP Home SP2 with Zone Alarm and I have had no problems with apache and mysql.

Date: April 17, 2006 05:03AM

Ok i found one of the issues - the wampserver.ini was doubled up - everything in the ini file was written in twice - when i removed this it seemed to work - but now apache is crashing when i go to localhost.

Im sure ill figure that out ok at some stage but im surprised that after uninstalling the server that it kept the config files - thanks for all your input guys , much appreciated.

Date: April 17, 2006 06:26AM

just to be on the safe side,when you uninstall and then reinstall wamp, you should remove the wamp directory before installing

Posted by: kernelpanic (213.144.119.---)
Date: April 17, 2006 08:31AM

@ CyberSpatium

i've added

EnableSendfile Off
EnableMMAP Off
Win32DisableAcceptEx

it didn't help.

C:\wamp\Apache2\bin\Apache.exe and
C:\wamp\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt.exe are already allowed on Windows Firewall. I'm not using any other firewalls and i also tried all these with firewall disabled, IIS turned off. Before each install, i remove c:\wamp folder.. I can run WAMP on other PCs without any problem.

I think i'm gonna re-install WinXP cuz i've wasted enough time trying to solve this.

Post Edited (04-17-06 08:59)

Date: April 17, 2006 02:08PM

make sure you restart apache after you edit the httpd.conf file, or the new settings will not take effect.

If restarting did not fix the problem, remove those three lines I told you to add to your httpd.conf file.

We need to see if this problem is an apache problem, or firewall related. apache runs on port 80, but we can change and add ports for apache to use. for testing, we will add 2 other ports for apache to use, and then will test it to see if it works.

Open up your httpd.conf file, and find this line:
Listen 80

Below that line, add these two line:
Listen 81
Listen 8080

Save the file. now apache listens on port 80, 81, and 8080, which are all default httpd ports. Now you need to test everything. access these urls and tell me if you get any errors or problems access these two pages:
[localhost]
[localhost]

Tell me any errors you get, or problems accessing those urls. Also check your apache error log located here:
C:\wamp\logs\apache_error.log

Apache saves all the newest error info at the bottom of the error log file, so all the newest errors will be shown at the bottom of the file.

Posted by: kernelpanic (213.144.119.---)
Date: April 17, 2006 02:49PM

@CyberSpatium

From my topic titled "it hangs on [localhost"];

It costed me hell of a time but i found the problem. It was NOD32 Antivirus preventing me. I re-installed WinXP, then installed hardware drivers. WAMP was the first software to test, and it worked very well. Then i started installing my other software one by one, trying to run WAMP after each install. It got stuck after installing NOD32.

Silly me. I couldn't figure out such problem may occur. NOD32 installation wizard warns you when installing on a Server OS by saying something like "running IMON service (internet monitor of NOD32) isn't recommended for servers", but there's no warning message when installing on XP.

Whatever..

Post Edited (04-17-06 15:16)

Date: April 17, 2006 02:51PM

Yeah i uninstalled WAMP once again and fully deleted the wamp folder and then re-installed and its running fine again now - everything working.

I did have a .htaccess in there that i took off my website and forgot about it being in the www folder - i dont think this was the cause of the problems, but it did create a new issue when i re-installed (renaming it fixed it)

Thanks again - all is running 100% perfect for me now

Date: April 18, 2006 01:16AM

yeah, make sure when you edit or create .htaccess and .htpasswd, windows wants to save the file as htaccess.txt and htpasswd.txt. When you copied your htaccess file from your website to your wamp server, you need to make sure any path settings in that file are in windows format, not linux

linux path example:
/home/usr/www/someplace

chage to windows path:
c:\wamp\www\someplace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.