Upgrading to new version of WAMP still shows old version number
Posted by: mav3rek (---.norlight.net)
Date: August 08, 2019 05:08PM

I am attempting to upgrade from wamp version 3.1.4 to version 3.1.9 so that I can subsequently add newer versions of PHP, etc. However, when I run the update file, after my services all return and the icon is green again, wampmanager still reports the old version. The 'about' menu still shows the 3.1.4 version, and my website no longer functions correctly. It instead shows the wampserver config page, rather than the homepage when I go to the URL.

I haven't done anything other than attempt to run the update file. I didn't install anything else.

Any assistance is appreciated.

1 - Windows version used (Specify version number AND whether 32 or 64 bit)
Windows Server 2016 64 bit

2 - Version WampServer (Specify version number AND whether 32 or 64 bit)
3.1.4 64 bit

3 - Apache Version

4 - PHP Version

5 - MySQL Version

5a - MariaDB version if applicable

6 - What color is the WampServer icon (in the notification area of the taskbar)
Green

When all goes well it should be green, but it may be red or orange.

If the WampServer icon is NOT GREEN please ensure you have looked at these files :-
a - Apache error log
-- ( wampmanager -> Apache -> Apache error log )
-- ( wampmanager -> Apache -> Apache access log )
b - MySQL error log ( wampmanager -> MySQL -> MySQL log )
b1 - MariaDB error log ( wampmanager -> MariaDB -> Mariadb log )
c - PHP error log ( wampmanager -> PHP -> PHP error log )

Depending on the error, one or all of the above may be empty so also look at
d - The windows event viewer
--- Windows Key + R to launch the run dialog then enter eventvwr.exe and press the OK button
--- - On the left side of the windows click 'Windows Logs -> Applications'
--- - Look for the names 'Apache Service' or 'MySQL' in the Source column which have a error symbol in the first column.

If you find any errors that you cannot fix for yourself please post the COMPLETE EXACT error message in your question.

7 - In the file c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts, what are the active lines?
* Active means no # at the beginning of the line.
127.0.01 localhost
::1 localhost

If the WampServer icon is green:

8 - Do you have access to localhost (Homepage WampServer)?
Yes
8a - If so, is there an error message at the bottom of the page?
No

9 - Do you have access to phpMyAdmin?
Yes

10 - If you refer to an error message, please include the EXACT wording of the error in your post
11 - If you use an Antivirus and / or Firewall, please include the names of these
None present

12 - What is the full path to the installation of WampServer (eg D:\wamp\)
C:\wamp64

13 - If you have one or more Virtual Hosts defined, please show their definition(s)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 05:43PM by mav3rek.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Upgrading to new version of WAMP still shows old version number
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2019 05:40PM

Hi,

Did you run the update exe file "as an administrator" ?

- Verify that all VC ++ packages are installed and with the latest versions.
To do this, use the tool:
Checks VC++ packages installed
Do not use a previously loaded tool. Make a new download to make sure you are using the correct version.
To download missing packages, do not rely on Microsoft links, they are not reliable, download packages on http://wampserver.aviatechno.net in section Visual C++ Redistribuable Packages
Do not forget that if you have a 64 bit Windows, you must install both 32 and 64 bit versions of each package.
You must install each package "as an administrator", so right-click the exe file and then run as Administrator.

The update executable file can be restarted as many times as desired, but always "as an administrator".

Note: The new version number "3.1.9" is updated in the file wampmanager.conf.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: August 08, 2019 05:50PM

Yes, I make sure that I am running it as an administrator.

I just ran the vcredist check and it appears I am missing some of those. I'll download/install and report back. That should have been a first check but I assumed they were there from my original install and Windows updates.

I apologize for my oversight. Thanks for the quick reply and I'll update once I know more.

Date: August 08, 2019 06:05PM

** Update **

I installed the 2 missing VC redist versions (both x86 and 64 bit versions), ran the check again just to be safe, and it said all required versions are installed now. However, the same problem persists when I ran the update to go from 3.1.4 to 3.1.9. It still shows 3.1.4 in both wampmanaer's gui and and about sections, and my homepage/localhost is the wampserver config info.

I will say the version on that page shows 3.1.9, so I went ahead and attempted to install addon of a newer version of PHP, but after the install, wampmanager does not give me the option to change the PHP version to the new one.

wampmanager.conf however does show 3.1.9, so I'm not entirely sure what is going on. It seems to be kind of a mish mash of both versions?

I should also clarify that this is in a virtual environment and I have a snapshot to roll back to that is prior to attempting the initial update. So I can go back and start from the beginning over and over until we can get this sorted out without worry of things getting completely out of whack.

Continued assistance is much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 06:17PM by mav3rek.

Date: August 08, 2019 06:58PM

Hi,

In your "virtual environment", are you sure that files from any "cache" are not used?

All the information of the Wampserver version that can be seen at the left click on the Wampmanager icon (vertical bar on the left and horizontal bar in the middle) as well as in the "About...", is generated from the value read in the file wampmanager.conf for the line :

wampserverVersion = "3.1.9"

the file wampmanager.ini which allows the display of these version values is completely recreated at each launch of Wampserver or at each Refresh Right Click.

and in this file wampmanager.ini, this results in the lines :

AboutHeader=WAMPSERVER 3.1.9 64bit
AboutVersion=Version 3.1.9

WampServer Version 3.1.9 64bit

BarCaptionCaption=WAMPSERVER 3.1.9

Type: separator; Caption: "3.1.9 - 64bit - Services"

Note : The web page 'http://localhost/' has always been and will always be the Wampserver homepage.
Files in the wamp(64)/www/ folder must not be modified and no files must be added to this folder. However, it is perfectly permissible to create other folders for your local sites.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: August 08, 2019 10:14PM

I guess I should clarify that my virtual environment is a true virtual environment on enterprise level hardware running VMWare, on which a virutal server is running an instance of Windows Server 2016 which contains this wamp install.

I've also discovered that when I initially did my wamp install and wordpress setup, apparently my site was installed into the www folder. Not into a subfolder of www, but into the www folder itself. So I have a ton of files in there.

That may also be part of the problem.

What would be my best path of correction for these issues?

Date: August 09, 2019 09:38AM

Hi,

The original files and folders in the wamp(64)/www/ folder are:

- Folders:
wamplangues\
wampthemes\
- Files
add_vhost.php
favicon.ico
index.php
test_sockets.php
testmysql.php

All other folders and files are part of your Wordpress installation.
Update 3.1.9 overwritten WordPress index.php files and the only way to restore it is from a backup.

As with all hosting providers, local sites must be installed in VirtualHost.

See The need for Virtual Host and Wampserver 3 - Create or add a VirtualHost

Date: August 09, 2019 03:38PM

I see. I can restore my index.php file and I think my site will be ok.

But I'd like to have it setup the proper way since I didn't do it to begin with.

I understand how to create a virtual host and why I need to, but how do you move a site that is already created and live to a virtual host? My site works and functions fine. In reality I just need to get PHP and the other services updated to newer versions for security purposes, but I'd like to have everything setup and functioning the way it was actually supposed to be done to begin with.

Date: August 09, 2019 04:06PM

Hi,

- Create a folder where you want. There is no obligation to be in the Wampserver tree structure. It can be wamp(64)/www/mysite/ but it can also be E:/mysite/

- Copy all file and folder from wamp(64)/www/ into the new folder, except the files and folders corresponding to those of Wampserver and noted in one of my previous messages.
I wrote copy and not move so that you can easily go back; there will always be time to delete them later.

- Create a VirtualHost for the new folder with the ServerName you want. You can do it with the Wampserver integrated tool even if the homepage is not the good by 'http://localhost/add_vhost.php'

- Before to launch the new WordPress VirtualHost, you need to modify the url in the wordpress database.
The original url should be something like'http://localhost/' or'http://localhost/wordpress/' that you have to change to'http://mysite/', mysite being replaced by the ServerName you assigned to VirtualHost.

Once VirtualHost access works, you can delete the original files and folders in wamp(64)/www/ but without deleting the wampserver files and folders. Then you can reapply the update 3.1.9.

Date: August 09, 2019 04:06PM

Alternatively...

I can "upgrade" to 3.1.9, but the menus still show 3.1.4, and the about shows 3.1.4.

But I can install addons as if the upgrade was successful I guess?

But, the wampmanager is still 3.1.4 so when I go to PHP -> version-> to change to the new version I installed, it's not there.

But the folder was created in c:\wamp64\bin\php\7.2.21, but the latest version that shows up in my menu is still 7.2.10.

So I'm not sure what's going on. This was all installed as admin and with all the VC redists as well.

Date: August 09, 2019 04:08PM

Otomatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> - Create a folder where you want. There is no
> obligation to be in the Wampserver tree structure.
> It can be wamp(64)/www/mysite/ but it can also be
> E:/mysite/
>
> - Copy all file and folder from wamp(64)/www/ into
> the new folder, except the files and folders
> corresponding to those of Wampserver and noted in
> one of my previous messages.
> I wrote copy and not move so that you can easily
> go back; there will always be time to delete them
> later.
>
> - Create a VirtualHost for the new folder with the
> ServerName you want. You can do it with the
> Wampserver integrated tool even if the homepage is
> not the good by 'http://localhost/add_vhost.php'
>
> - Before to launch the new WordPress VirtualHost,
> you need to modify the url in the wordpress
> database.
> The original url should be something
> like'http://localhost/'
> or'http://localhost/wordpress/' that you have to
> change to'http://mysite/', mysite being replaced
> by the ServerName you assigned to VirtualHost.
>
> Once VirtualHost access works, you can delete the
> original files and folders in wamp(64)/www/ but
> without deleting the wampserver files and folders.
> Then you can reapply the update 3.1.9.

I will give this a go, and let you know how it goes. I really appreciate all your assistance on this so far. Many thanks.

Date: August 09, 2019 07:52PM

So I've made some progress. I have my site functioning and moved out of the root of the \wamp64\www and into its own folder.

However, when I run the update I'm still not getting the version number to display correctly in wampmanager. Its still reporting 3.1.4 and I still can not get any installed addons to show up under the version so I can change to them.

I've also noticed that my wampmanager.conf file shows wampserverVersion = "3.1.9"

but my wampmanager.ini shows 3.1.4 in all the version locations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 09:10PM by mav3rek.

Date: August 10, 2019 09:13AM

Hi,

> I've also noticed that my wampmanager.conf file shows wampserverVersion = "3.1.9"
The version number in wampmanager.conf is changed at the end of the update installation if everything seems to have gone well.

> but my wampmanager.ini shows 3.1.4 in all the version locations.
A priori, as explained in a previous message, it would seem that the file wampmanager.ini is not rewritten after launching Wampserver or after Right-Click -> Refresh.
The wampmanager.ini file is completely rewritten each time Wampserver is launched and each time a wampserver, Apache, PHP, MySQL or MariaDB option is modified. This does not seem to be the case on your configuration.

For example, if you modify a PHP option :
- Left-Click -> PHP -> PHP settings -> date.timezone -> upload_max_filesize -> 16M
Note : The default value is 2M, unless you have changed it previously.
After that, if you go back to PHP settings, you should see that the value of upload_max_filesize is now 16M.
If this is not the case, it shows that the wampmanager.ini file is not rewritten.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.