Port :83 used for the VirtualHost is not an Apache define variable after Wamp update to 3.1.9
Posted by: RSRS (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: June 11, 2019 12:23PM

Today I finally updated my WAMP installation from 3.1.0 to 3.1.9 and upon restarting the server and opening the wamp control panel page it shows me this:

Port :83 used for the VirtualHost is not an Apache define variable

Why is this happening? It seems to be only a control panel thing because if I manually enter the vhost adress it works perfectly fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Port :83 used for the VirtualHost is not an Apache define variable after Wamp update to 3.1.9
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 11, 2019 02:44PM

Hi,

You cannot use a port other than 80 if you have not declared it as Listen Port.

Right-Click -> Tools -> Add a listen port for Apache ...... Choose 8083

And then you MUST use the Apache variable created as a port for the VirtualHost like:
<VirtualHost *:${MYPORT8083}>

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Re: Port :83 used for the VirtualHost is not an Apache define variable after Wamp update to 3.1.9
Posted by: RSRS (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: June 13, 2019 01:58PM

Ah I see. I wonder why they changed it to this. Anyways, the error is gone now.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2019 04:02PM

Hi,

Port 80 is the port reserved for the http protocol. Almost all ports between 01 and 1024 are reserved for specific protocols or actions. The alternative port for the http protocol is port 8080, so it is reserved for possible use by Wampserver.
If you want to use particular ports, you have a choice between 1025 and 65535, but, whatever port you choose as an alternative port, it must be declared as a listening port by Apache. The simplest way to do this and the easiest way to check for Wampserver is to use the Apache variables.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.