After updating wampserver I can't access to my virtual host
Posted by: Pisco (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 17, 2019 11:30PM

Hi,
I updated wampserver and I couldn't access to my site. I asked the forum what could I do and the answer was to import the database that I backed up earlier. That worked well but I set up another site under wamp and this one is Inaccessible.
I really appreciate if anybody could tell me how to sort out this problem and how to avoid it in the future?

Thanks for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: After updating wampserver I can't access to my virtual host
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2019 11:05AM

Hi

I am getting a little fed up with this. It appears that you just cannot follow simple instructions.

I have just done this, and it worked just fine.
I followed the Instructions on the WordPress website

This is what I did - To instal a NEW WordPress site

1. Using file manager, create a folder to host your site! NOTE You must do this manually before the next step.

- I used d:\websrc\wordpress\pisco

2. Start WampServer, if it was not already running, go to the WAMPServer homepage (localhost)

3. Click Add a Virtual Host, set the domain name and use the full path to the folder you just created above.
- so I used
- pisco.test as the domain name and
- d:/websrc/wordpress/pisco as the DocumentRoot

4. Stop and the restart WAMPServer ( or just restart Apache if you know how to do that using the wampmanager manus)
- this will make sure that Apache knows about the new Virtual Host.

5. Download WordPress (its a zip file), unzip it and place the zip in d:/websrc/wordpress/pisco

6. Launch phpMyAdmin
- Follow these instructions to create a Database and a MySQL user account to access that database

7. Then FOLLOW these instructions to make a wp-config.php file from the supplied wp-config-sample.php file supplied with the install

8. Then run the install script
http://pisco.test/wp-admin/install.php

BOOM you are done

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2019 11:32AM by RiggsFolly.

Date: July 18, 2019 08:25PM

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your answer and I am sorry you felt it in that way. After reading your answer I understood that this is how you can create a virtual host which I already did. The problem is that after I updated Wampserver I can only access to the localhost site. The other one I can't, hence I asked if there is anything I can do as I am not an IT expert.

I believed that when I backed up the database through phpmyadmin, I backed up both sites but it seems that this didn't happen amd I am still wondering why? I used to log in using the url pisco.test/wp-login.php. but now I only get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.message.

I can start all over again and get a new site but if ever I update again wampserver and the rest of programs, I will get the same problem. The pisco site was empty but this could be a major issue if it wasn't empty.

I really appreciate your time and effort but I wasn't asking how to create a new virtualhost I was asking why I can access and what should I do to avoid this next time I update wampserver

Date: July 18, 2019 11:46PM

Hi

So if I understand your reply correctly you are saying that you had a wordpress site setup as a virtual host called pisco.test
Then before updating wampserver you did a database backup, using phpMyAdmin, but that backup (export) did not backup the database for the pisco site.
Am I right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: July 19, 2019 12:28AM

Hi,

Yes that's right.

I checked phpmyadmin (left column) and I have each database for both sites, so that's means the backup worked. The site I use the url "localhost" I can access to it, but for the other one I can't.

Before the update, I had access to both sites. Afterwards, I couldn't, and later, when I got the piece of advice from the forum, I could only access to the localhost site.

This is the second time I update wampserver. The first time, miraculously, I hadn't to do anything, although I had the back up ready just in case.

As I said before I just could setup another virtualhost but I'm afraid that this could happen again. I don't know what went wrong and how to sort it.
Sorry if I confuse you, I am not familiar with the IT terminology that you guys use.

Date: July 19, 2019 12:40AM

In fact an update of any version of wampserver 3 or above does not change the versions of Apache or MySql or PHP.

Therefore after the update your databases should remain as they were before.

So you must have selected a new version of mysql. So select the old version of mysql and you should have got your databases back, they exist within the mysql version folder.

But having done all these uninstalls will have made that unlikely

Date: July 19, 2019 06:06PM

Yes, I changed from 8.0.15 to 8.0.16. But then why the backup?

Actually, both databases are there. At least, I can access to the site I have content. So basically, what you are saying is that every time I update mysqul, even if I backup, there is a risk of loosing the database. Is that right?

Former advise on the forum about updating was to backup before changing the version, which I did, but it seems that even though, you can loose it.

Date: July 19, 2019 06:42PM

Actually, both databases are there. At least, I can access to the site I have content. So basically, what you are saying is that every time I update mysql, even if I backup, there is a risk of loosing the database. Is that right?

NO, not if you stop and learn how MySQL works and stop blaming the software for your lack of knowledge.

If your databases were working in MySQL8.0.15 then switch back to MySQL8.0.15 THEY WILL STILL BE THERE !!!!

LEFT CLICK wampmanager->MySQL->Version->8.0.15

Give it a few seconds to stop the current MySQL and swicth to 8.0.15 and then restart MySQL (all automatic)

Then if your databases used to exist in 8.0.15 they will still be there untouched. UNLESS YOU UNINSTALLED WAMPServer, in which case you shot yourself in the foot.

However, you should always backup, databases and code and ANYTHING you cannot afford to loose every time you upgrade

NOW if you want to move to the new MySQL. Do a backup, swictch database versions, do a restore.

Former advise on the forum about updating was to backup before changing the version, which I did, but it seems that even though, you can loose it.

YES backup databases every time you add data that you do not want to recreate, or would take longer to recreate that it does to run a backup.
If you do a proper BACKUP you will be able to restore that data.

This all sounds like you did not do a proper backup of your database and./or you do not know how to restore the backup properly.

Thats what WAMPServer is for, use it to learn how to do thing witl Apache MySQL PHP properly.
But thiese skill do not get implanted in your head just because you installed WAMPServer, they need to be learned and practiced

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2019 06:44PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: July 19, 2019 07:44PM

Ok, thanks a lot,

"This all sounds like you did not do a proper backup of your database and./or you do not know how to restore the backup properly"

The way I backed up was through phpmyadmin and using the default settings under export tap. I restored using the import tab and again, using the default settings.

I didn't uninstalled wampserver, I just updated it through the add on.

"However, you should always backup, databases and code and ANYTHING you cannot afford to loose every time you upgrade"

Is there any information available where I can have a look and learn how to do a proper back up? Maybe this time was lucky. I will change the version of mysql to see if I can recover my other site, but in the case I could, I would like to get the new version of MySQL, and as I learnt today, doing it with the default settings doesn't work.

Date: July 19, 2019 08:05PM

I changed the version but I can't access to any site, and I don't want mess with the importing tab again. I gave up.

I will delete everything of the other site and start a new virtualhost from scratch. How can I delete the database folder on phpmyadmin?

Date: July 19, 2019 08:46PM

drop database

Please start by learning how to use MySQL.

See my signature for a link to the MySQL Documentation

Date: July 20, 2019 12:43AM

Thanks, it's a starting point as a reference

I checked it and, with all due respect, i felt overwhelmed. I checked the section 7: Back ups and I couldn't find a proper answer.

I checked phpmyadmin>export tab> and I could see that both databases were by default selected. I was checking the rest of options and I try to look for them on the guide to see if I did back up correctly, but nothing found yet.

It's a wee bit disappointing that I couldn't find an answer straight away. My time is restricted and mysql is like learning office software like access.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.