Can't restart wampservice on Windows Server 2012
Posted by: Swedie (---.cust.a3fiber.se)
Date: June 14, 2019 12:44PM

For years now I can't restart Wampserver without a full reboot of the system. It's a Windows Server 2012 machine. Wamp is installed correctly with all extras needed. I currently run the very latest version and it's been like this for years.

When I restart via the taskbar Icon, or through Services (restart service) the Wampapache64 (also 32-bit does this) hangs during this process and won't ever restart. I've let it sit for a good while.

I also cannot stop the hanged process without restarting the server completely. Meaning a few minutes downtime sometimes. Not great for a production server.

There is no event log in Windows about what goes wrong. Can I somehow debug what is causing the service to hang during restart?

The other two services Wampmysql64 (and maria) restarts as they should.

On my dev machine (Windows 10) it restarts as it should. With the same exact setup. No difference at all. It's just that the production machine is a Windows Server 2012 machine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't restart wampservice on Windows Server 2012
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 14, 2019 03:49PM

Hi,

This may be due to the Apache version used.
It may also be due to the fact that your Windows version is not up to date and/or the redistributable Vc++ packages are not up to date.

- Verify that all VC ++ packages are installed and with the latest versions.
To do this, use the tool:
Checks VC++ packages installed
Do not use a previously loaded tool. Make a new download to make sure you are using the correct version.
To download missing packages, do not rely on Microsoft links, they are not reliable, download packages on http://wampserver.aviatechno.net in section Visual C++ Redistribuable Packages
Do not forget that if you have a 64 bit Windows, you must install both 32 and 64 bit versions of each package.
You must install each package "as an administrator", so right-click the exe file and then run as Administrator.

- If it is not already done, apply Update 3.1.9 to your version of Wampserver
Wampserver update 3.1.9

You can check for Apache service shutdown/start in other ways:
- In a command window launched as an administrator:
net stop wampapache (or wampapache64)
net start wampapache (or wampapache64)

- In a command windows on Apache bin folder:
Right-Click -> Tools -> Command windows -> Command windows Apache/bin

httpd -n wampapache64 -k stop
httpd -n wampapache64 -k start

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: June 14, 2019 06:43PM

Thank you! That checker program found some issues and after another restart, Wampserver now works again!

Have a nice day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2019 09:38AM by Swedie.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2019 09:25AM

Hi,

> Wampserver not works again.
I don't agree with the terms used; it's Apache that doesn't work properly.
To convince yourself, do not launch Wampserver but start all three services via an administrator command window or via the service manager.
net start wampapache64
net start wampmysqld64
net start wampmariadb64

then, from your browser type 'http://localhost/' or the names of your local sites and you will see that you can access them even without Wampserver.

If, from a command window or from the service manager, you stop and restart the wampapache64 service and it does not restart, Wampserver has nothing to do with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: June 15, 2019 09:40AM

Sorry. It was a typo! I meant to write: "Wampserver NOW works" :-)

Your program is great! I have only positive things to say. Especially after version 3 things have improved greatly.

I have edited my post.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.