Wordpress log in page not found
Posted by: Pisco (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: April 30, 2019 11:28PM

Hi, I was trying to set up multiple Wordpress sites under Wamp. I created another site but I can't see the Wordpress log in page that normally appears when you log in under localhost/mysite/wp-admin.
I can see the new site because when I use the new URL or clicking WampSer icon> Your VirtualHost, I can see the page, but I can't access to the back end.

How can I access to the back end of my new site? How can I get to the worpress log in page?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wordpress log in page not found
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: May 01, 2019 09:08AM

Hi,

> when you log in under localhost/mysite/wp-admin.
NO.
For your local sites, you MUST use VirtualHost and even more for CMS like WordPress.
See The need for Virtual Host

> How can I get to the worpress log in page?
Questions specific to a CMS such as WordPress should be asked at WordPress.
WordPress is not part of the Wampserver distribution.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: Afflospark (157.37.156.---)
Date: May 01, 2019 08:30PM

yes you would need to add a virtual host in httpd-vhosts.conf

example code

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www/mywpsite"
ServerName mywpsite
<Directory "c:/wamp/www/mywpsite">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

then you can visit your "mywpsite/wp-admin"

Thanks

Date: May 02, 2019 07:29PM

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your replies. I just want to clarify that I dind't use localhost for my other sites. Fortunately, I remembered the URL for my other site and I am using it every time I want to access to my back end for WordPress.
I didn't get the hang of your explanations. I used Virtualhost though to create it. I downloaded Wordpress into a folder on my computer, then I created a database and I linked them together. Now I use mysitename/wp-login.php as my url to get into my new site.
I am wondering how I can change the name of the site or even delete it completely. Any idea?
I would appreciate if you could tell me, for instance, the folder I should look for and then the steps I should follow. I am not an IT expert and I couldn't understand all your answers.
Thanks guys.

Date: May 02, 2019 08:18PM

Hi,

> am wondering how I can change the name of the site or even delete it completely

Change the ServerName in the file:
- wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.3x\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf

and change the name(s) into
- C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: May 03, 2019 07:50PM

Hi,
The ServerName is the name of the site?
The path you gave me to get into the folder, inside the apache I have two folders, apache2.4.35 and apache2.4.38a. I imagine it must be the latter, isn't it? I don't know why I have two.
Which one I have to change, the first or the second?

Can I change the name for the localhost site in this folder?

I pasted the code I found.
# Virtual Hosts
#
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
DocumentRoot "${INSTALL_DIR}/www"
<Directory "${INSTALL_DIR}/www/">
Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

#
ServerName Peter.test
DocumentRoot "c:/users/wordpress"
<Directory "c:/users/wordpress/">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

When I get in Windows folder, what do I have to do there? I mean, do I have to change the name in here as well? What happens if I only change the name in one folder? Does every thing breaks apart?
#
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

127.0.0.1 Peter.test
::1 Peter.test

Somebody told me that changing the domain name requires the same first step as simply removing the VirtualHost, is that true?
Do I have to do anything to the database? If I want to change or delete my new host do I have to go into phpmyadmin?

Please, help me out on that, it will save me a lot of trouble!!

Date: May 03, 2019 08:43PM

Hi,

> apache2.4.35 and apache2.4.38a. I imagine it must be the latter, isn't it? I don't know why I have two.
Apache 2.4.35 is the basic version of the full installer of Wampserver 3.1.4.
Apache 2.4.38a is an Aapache addon that you have installed.

> The ServerName is the name of the site?
Yes.

You must change the ServerName of the Apache version used. The version used is mentioned in the Wampmanager menu, with the Left Click, just to the right of Apache.

It is therefore "Peter.test" (Without quotation marks) that you must replace both in the httpd-vhosts.conf file and in the hosts file.

Never modify the VirtualHost localhost which, moreover, must always be the first in the httpd-vhosts.conf file.

> Somebody told me that changing the domain name requires the same first step
> as simply removing the VirtualHost, is that true?
That's not entirely true. If you delete the VirtualHost Peter.test you will need to create another one, with the new ServerName. It's a little easier to go and change the names Peter.test.

> Do I have to do anything to the database?
No.

> If I want to change or delete my new host do I have to go into phpmyadmin?
Deleting a VirtualHost, through the appropriate menu on the Add VirtualHost page, only deletes the definition of the VirtualHost and does not delete anything from the folder that contains it.

Date: May 04, 2019 07:31PM

Hi,
Thanks very much, it was very helpful. I understand know how to change the name and where to go. I used to get into the configuration settings for WAMP itself by opening a new Explorer window and then clicking to each folder until to get the one you mentioned. I didn't know it was a shortcut from the Wamp icon. I could never find the file httpd-vhosts.conf. as the extension didn't contain .conf.at the end.
Regarding to the last question, If I want to delete the localhost completely, then I have to do the same but deleting the folder instead, don't I? I mean, the whole code in the folder related to the virtual host, in this case :

#
ServerName Peter.test
DocumentRoot "c:/users/wordpress"
<Directory "c:/users/wordpress/">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The other code belongs to the localhost site, am I right?

# Virtual Hosts
#
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
DocumentRoot "${INSTALL_DIR}/www"
<Directory "${INSTALL_DIR}/www/">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

One last question. Everytime I want to access into the back end of my new virtualhost (peter.test) I have to type on the browser "peter.test/wp-login.php" to get to the wordpress log in page. If I use Your VirtualHosts from the wampserver menu I only access to the web itself of front end.
Is there any other way to do that?
I was lucky that I wrote down the path I followed, otherwise I couldn't access at all. If that wasn't the case, how I can find the URL to access to the Wordpress log in page for my virtualhost?

Date: May 04, 2019 08:32PM

Hi,

> I could never find the file httpd-vhosts.conf. as the extension didn't contain .conf.at the end.
You do not see the file extensions because, by default, Windows hides them.

Note : The terms used below are a translation into English of what I see in my File Explorer which is in French. This can only be approximate and not reflect the actual English terms.

To see the file extensions, you need:
- Launch the File Explorer
- Tab Display
- Options -> Modify the options of folders and search
- Tab Display
- Advanced parameters
-- Hidden files and folders
--- Check Display hidden files, folders and drives

--- Uncheck extensions of known file types

Apply
OK

The simple, fast and durable way to open the httpd-vhosts.conf file directly with your default text editor is:

Left-Click Wampmanager tray icon -> Apache -> httpd-vhosts.conf

> One last question. Everytime I want to access into the back end of my new virtualhost (peter.test)
> I have to type on the browser "peter.test/wp-login.php" to get to the wordpress log in page
> If I use Your VirtualHosts from the wampserver menu I only access to the web itself of front end.

This is completely normal and it would be the same for a host provider.

To completely delete the definition of a VirtualHost, there is a tool in Wampserver.
- localhost
- Tools -> Add a VirtualHost
or Left-Click Wampmanager -> Your VirtualHosts -> VirtualHost management

- Click on "Suppress VirtualHost form" button
- Check the VirtualHost you want to suppress
- Click on Suppress VirtualHost

This deletes the VirtualHost definition in httpd-vhosts.cont and hosts files but does not delete the files or folder.

Date: May 07, 2019 11:19PM

This deletes the VirtualHost definition in httpd-vhosts.cont and hosts files but does not delete the files or folder.

What do I have to do to delete the files and folder?
I suppose If I delete the folder where I installed WordPress for my new site, it would delete the files and everything else, but I am not completely sure. I am affraid that this will be the same scenario when you install a program on your computer and when you decide to get rid off it, there is always some file that survives and takes memory space.

What about the database created for this new site? Accessing to phpmyadmin and delete it from there it's all it's needed?

The order of how I delete the site it's important? Or, it doesn't matter, as long as you don't have second thoughts, and decide you want it back?

Date: May 08, 2019 05:49PM

Hi,

> What do I have to do to delete the files and folder?
Windows Files Explorer

> ... and decide you want it back?
After a file deletion, the only way to go back is to have a backup beforehand.

These are the basics of using the Windows operating system and it has nothing to do with Wampserver.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.