wamp server 3.1.7 with wordpress 5.0, how to use webite created to access by LAN connected computers
Posted by: sagarlive (---.163.219.162.static.vsnl.net.in)
Date: January 28, 2019 10:13AM

wamp server 3.1.7 with wordpress 5.0, how to use webite created to access by LAN connected computers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2019 10:20AM by RiggsFolly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wamp server 3.1.7 with wordpress 5.0, how to use webite created to access by LAN connected computers
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2019 10:26AM

Hi,

First did you create a Virtual Host before installing WordPress, see The need for Virtual Hosts

If you didn't, you should do that first.

If you did please show us your httpd-vhosts.conf file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Re: wamp server 3.1.7 with wordpress 5.0, how to use webite created to access by LAN connected computers
Posted by: sagarlive (220.225.43.---)
Date: January 30, 2019 07:20AM

Hi RiggsFolly,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Below is the httpd-vhosts.conf file

# Virtual Hosts
#
<VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerName example.dev
     ServerAlias www.example.dev
     DocumentRoot "d:/wamp64/www/mysite"
     <Directory "d:/wamp64/www/mysite">
        Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
        AllowOverride All
        Require all granted
     </Directory>
     php_flag display_errors Off
    php_flag log_errors On

php_value max_upload_size 40M
    php_value max_execution_time 120
    php_value error_log "d:/wamp64/logs/example_com_phperror.log"
</VirtualHost>

================================================================

I want to use url as [ip] address/mysite which can be accessed by LAN connected computers

================================================================

After giving ServerName & ServerAlias found below error message while installing wordpress.

The ServerName example.dev use TLD .dev which is monopolized by web browsers. Use another TLD (.test for example)

Please suggest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2019 11:18AM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2019 11:35AM

Hi,

Thanks.

First, what happened to your `localhost` virtual host? That should remain in place so you can still access the WAMPSverer homepage from the PC Running WAMPServer. It can be useful when tracing issues.

Ok, one of your problems is the use of `.dev` as the TLD in the domain name. Google bought ALL of the new `.dev` domain, so their browsers will force the lookup to be on the internet and not on the local machine.

To avaoid this replace `.dev` with somethig else EG `.local` or `.here` or anything that makes sense to you to indicate "its located on my lan" and not the internet.

Now if you want to access your site, lets say `example.local` from another PC on your lan, you have to use `example.local` in your url in the browser on the other PC. But of course that other PC does not know where to find `example.local` so it will look for it in a DNS Server on the internet and that will also fail as its not registered there.

So there are a few ways round this:

1. Edit the HOSTS file on the other PC and add `example.local` to that like this
192.168.0.100  example.local
very similiar to what you do on the WAMPServer machine to its HOSTS file, but you use the ip address of the PC hosting Apache i.e. the WAMPServer PC (which should be configured to have a static IP address or this will not always work)

2. More complex, but if you have or would like to install a DNS Server on your PC, you can enter your site(s) in there and make all your PC's use your DNS Server. Of course this is not for the faint hearter as the local DNS needs to be correctly configured so what it does not know about domain name wise will cause it to look out to a real DNS Server.

3. A technique I use to allow me to access a site from my phone/tablet where of course (unless you jail break the device you cannot access the HOSTS file) I make Apache listen on a specific port for the site I am testing at the time. I wrote an answer about this on StackOverflow yo ucan look at it there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: sagarlive (---.141.232.124.static-Pune.vsnl.net.in)
Date: January 31, 2019 06:11AM

Hi RiggsFolly !

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I tried as per above comments but not succeed.

we will keep searching to resolve or local website accessed from LAN computers for wamp server 3.1.7

Can you please suggest wamp server version which will support window 7 & internet explorer or can be possible to access from LAN computers.

-thanks

Posted by: CanadaBri (204.101.102.---)
Date: February 12, 2019 08:48PM

Just an FYI

I have a WAMP server v3.1.4 and another v3.1.7. It does work, and it works very well.

I am accessing my WordPress 5.x site on a LAN - no issues (on the 3.1.4 server, but will be updating that to 3.1.7 soon). Also have https setup and working great - on all servers.

You will need to create a CNAME in your DNS servers for the site. We don't know what your LAN DNS domain is, but lets say it is example.dev... your site might be wordpress.example.dev you would need a CNAME for 'wordpress' in your example.dev DNS domain. CNAME will just point to the server that is your WAMP server.

The section of my httpd-vhosts.conf (located in apache dir / cont/extra/ ) looks like this:

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName wordpress.example.dev
   DocumentRoot "d:/www/example"
   <Directory "d:/www/example/">
       Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
       AllowOverride All
       Require all granted
   </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Note that I do have the localhost section at the very top of my httpd-vhosts.conf file, and it looks very similar to what I have for my actual site.

What part is actually not working? Is your WAMP indicator green?

Also, since this is a Windows box, you will want to open up the firewall to allow incoming port 80. Optionally, you could just set the 3 windows firewall policies (Domain, Public, Private) to allow incoming connections - but that is pretty wide open. Not sure how OK that is in your environment.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 08:56PM by CanadaBri.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.