Next Steps After Brand New Installation
Posted by: mrobot (---.hstntx.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 23, 2019 05:45PM

1. I have just completed the installation of WAMP on Windows 10.

2. 'phpMyAdmin' gave me an error message that I fixed by stopping all wamp services, going C:\wamp64\bin\mysql\mysql5.7.24\my.ini and uncommenting the line 'skip-grant-tables. Then I restarted all servers and successfully entered 'phpMyAdmin'.

3. There is a strange MySQL80 service running under 'Services'. When I right click it and chose 'Start', I get an error message that the file cannot be found. I have tried deleting this service through the command line, but it is not found. I also tried to find it in the Registry through regedit, but it is not found anywhere in there. I do not know how to remove this from "Services'.

Will this affect me?

4. I have two instances of 'Apache' listening on Port 80: one is on IPv6, and one is on IPv4. Is this how it should be?

5. I have two instances of 'mysqld' listening on Port 3306: one is on IPv6, and one is on IPv4. Is this how it should be?

6. I have two instances of 'mysqld' listening on Port 3307: one is on IPv6, and one is on IPv4. Is this how it should be?

7. Before I go wild creating databases and writing PHP scripts, what other front-end set-up should I do?

8. What resources, such as books, websites, online courses, etc..., exist that I can learn how to manage Apache Servers, PHP, and mySQL?

There are those who have learned by doing and finding work arounds and they can generally find a way to make things work. There are also those who have had some in-depth education and know how and why it all works. Nothing being perfect, I would like to know how these things work together as much as possible, knowing that education goes hand in hand with experience.

Thanks Community

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Next Steps After Brand New Installation
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2019 06:01PM

Hi,

1. Great.

2. The `skip-grant-tables` is commented out in the release. Did you mess with `my.ini` before you had this issue?

3. WAMPServer calls its version of MySQL `wampmysqld64` or `wampmysqld` SO my guess is you had installed a verison of MySQL manually (not as part of the WAMPServer install). This could explain issue in (2), I would suggest you uninstall it!

4. Yes thats correct

5. Yes thats correct

6. Yes thats correct, that will be mariaDB

7. None required by WAMPServer, thats all up to your personal choice

8. See my signature for links to the relevant docs for all of those.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2019 06:02PM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2019 06:13PM

Hi,

> I do not know how to remove this from "Services'.
See (Note 1) of TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: January 23, 2019 06:55PM

@RiggsFolly:

I do have 'wampapache64', 'wampmariadb64', and 'wampmysqld64' running successfully in 'Services'. The 'MySQL80' is, as you know, MySQL version 8.0. I have no idea how it got there. Feedback from another forum said what you said, that I have two instances of MySQL and that I need to delete one of them. After I last uninstalled MAMP for Windows, I spent the past two days manually looking in every nook and cranny of my machine, but I cannot find any other MySQL type of files. I uncommented that one line in my.ini after I had a problem getting into phpMyAdmin. After uncommenting it, I have had no problems getting into phpMyAdmin.

Otomatic has provided some resources that may help me remove that MySQL80 service.

Lastly, I installed WAMP64 bit. Why would someone use the 32-bit over the 64-bit?

Thanks for the feedback and the resources!

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2019 08:15PM

Hi,

Uncomment''skip-grant-tables'' is not the solution, there is no more access authorization control, no more password request, in short, no more security access to your data.
This possibility exists with MySQL in the event of loss of the root password or accidental deletion of the root user or untimely modification of root privileges and should only be used for these cases and in no way because access to PhpMyAdmin is not granted.

> Why would someone use the 32-bit over the 64-bit?
There are cases where some PHP extensions or Apache modules do not yet exist in 64 bit and that is why, in very special cases, you have to use Wampserver 32 bit with a 64 bit Windows.
However, as long as you do not use functions supported only in 64 bit, such as a Unix timestamp valid after 2036 or files larger than 2 GB, you can easily use Wampserver 32 bit on a 64 bit Windows.

As far as I'm concerned, having a dual boot with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, I have four versions of Wampserver, a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version for each system.
You can, without any problem, have a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of Wampserver on the same system, as long as you do not launch them simultaneously.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: January 24, 2019 05:18AM

@Otomatic

I changed 'my.ini' in C:\wamp64\bin\mysql\mysql5.7.24\my.ini changed it back to have 'skip-grant-tables' as commented. 'phpMyAdmin' works.

U da Man, @Otomatic, @RiggsFilly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.