Error c:/wamp64 or PHP in PATH
Posted by: sgodlovitch (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: January 04, 2019 05:07PM

I've just installed wampserver 3.1.4. It seems to operate successfully but it displays on the bottom of the dashboard this error message:

Error c:/wamp64 or PHP in PATH

So far as I know, this hasn't yet affected the performance of wampserver, but I would like to get rid of the error if possible. Any help about what causes this and how to deal with it much appeciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Error c:/wamp64 or PHP in PATH
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2019 06:01PM

Hi,

> Error c:/wamp64 or PHP in PATH
This is not the complete and accurate warning message.
The full message tells you what the path is and why it should not be in the PATH environment variable.
The message itself is explicit.

All you have to do is remove the offending paths from the PATH environment variable.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: January 04, 2019 07:28PM

Many thanks for your help.
I'm quite new to this. Where would I find the full message with details about the location of the path?
Thanks again.
Stan

Date: January 04, 2019 07:36PM

The following was displayed when I clicked on the message:

It seems that a PHP installation is declared in the environment variable PATH
C:\Program Files (x86)\iis express\PHP\v7.1

Wampserver does not use, modify or require the PATH environment variable.
Using a PATH on Wampserver or PHP version
is detrimental to the proper functioning of Wampserver.

I thought I had de-activated all references to IIS Express. It doesn't seem so.
Would you be able to suggest how to eliminate such a reference?
Again, many thanks.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2019 08:03PM

Hi,

Finding out where environment variables are managed in Windows 10 is not very easy.
This explanation is a translation from what I do with my Windows 10 in French. I hope you will understand.

Right-click on the Start Menu icon
System
System information
Advanced system settings
Environment variables
System variables
Choose PATH then Modify
Choose the line
C:\Program Files (x86)\iis express\PHP\v7.1
then Delete
OK - OK - OK - OK
In principle, this deletion is taken into account immediately, however, it may be necessary for you to restart the system

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: January 04, 2019 08:27PM

C'est parfait!
Works like a charm.
Many thanks for your help with this.
Stan

Posted by: Jerzy (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: January 12, 2019 03:29PM

Hi,
May I ask why is it problem to have PHP path in windows configuration? As does it really affect performance?

In may case both things (performance and removing PHP from path seem to be a problem).

Performance is not great with some requests - on a pretty good hardware (modern I7 with fast SSD and plenty of RAM take way more time than on a cheap VPS).
I'm not sure this is a problem caused by the path issue. Setting realpath_cache_size = 8M kind of helped.

I use symfony and I need PHP CLI on daily basis. AFAIK removing PHP from path would force me to write full PHP executable path in every command instead of just PHP. Is there any way around this (removing PHP from windows path and being able to use PHP CLI like >php bin/console command at the same time?

Thank you
Jerzy

Posted by: sabrus (37.170.230.---)
Date: January 12, 2019 04:45PM

Hello,

I think PHP in path is not recommanded by wamp because when you update php version, you have to modify the path again, and the php.ini is not the same that wamp use.

Personally i have it in path for symfony or other tools that require php cli, and every time i update php, i make sure i use the correct version through the cli with the php.ini configurated to match wamp and it's the correct version in path

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2019 04:48PM

Hi,

It's not a performance thing. Having a version of PHP on the Windows PATH has ABSOLUTELY no effect on performance, specially not the performance of the web server/PHP as that never makes reference to the Windows PATH anyway.

The reason for NOT placing ANY of the possible versions of PHP available within a WAMPServer installation on to the Windows PATH is simply flexibility.

- If you place one of the PHP versions on the PATH then you are limited to that version when using the CLI.
- You will forget that you did that, when it comes to trying another version of PHP and that causes confusion.

See this on StackOverflow, an example of what I use It is a simple .cmd file that I place into a folder that is already on the Windows PATH, so I can run it from anywhere from within a comand window. It also incorporates `composer` and `PEAR` if you use features from those tools as well.

So I just launch a command windows
Run `>phppath` to get my current default version of PHP (whatever I set in the cmd file as the default

Or run `>phppath 7.2.4` to run the CLI with a specific version of PHP. Lets say I want to check a piece of code will run in a newer version of PHP than it was written using.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.