Installing WAMP server
Posted by: Pisco (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 25, 2018 09:19AM

Hi,
I am trying to install Wamp server and I am using the Troubleshoot list as a guidance. I am stuck on some items and I would like to get some piece of advice on that. In item 9 when I open host file I see this:
#
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
On item 9, it says I should delete any # symbol. I opened host using Notepad but it seems that is an older version so I can't delete anything, furthermore the file is protected. I upgraded Notepad with the 7.5.9 version. Unfortunately, I am still not able to open host file with the new version. Only when I do right click then is when I can. If I try to delete it, a windows pops out warning me that the file is protected and if I would like to run Notepad as an Administrator. What should I do?

At the end of Troubleshooting list there are some notes. Note 2 says that Host file should be run as an Administrator. It says that to change that you have to follow this path:
Explorer, right-click on "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts", Security then Properties, Advanced, Owner.
Maybe this sound silly for you guys but I am not an IT expert so I can't find Security and the rest. Do really I have to do this?
Please if anybody can give me an explanation it would be very helpful.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing WAMP server
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2018 09:28AM

Hi,

Use Notepad++ not Notepad from Windows.

See (Note 2), (Note 3) and (Note 4) of TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS

To launch a program as an administrator, in the file explorer, right-click on the name of the executable then "Run as an administrator".

It is also possible to do it for a shortcut on the desktop:
Right-click on the Shortcut, Properties
Button Advanced
Check Run as an administrator
OK - Apply - OK

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Re: Installing WAMP server
Posted by: Pisco (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 25, 2018 06:37PM

Hi Otomatic,

Note ++ is the version I downloaded today (7.5.9) ? How do I install Wampserver at the root of a partition? When I installed WAMP I just followed the wizard assistant.

Regarding Item 9, Shall I delete the # symbol on host file?

What's exactly ask me to do on note 2 from the troubleshooting tips (Explorer, right-click on "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts", Security then Properties, Advanced, Owner)?
I normally lunch everything using as an Administrator. I don't understand that part

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.