High CPU due to Windows Defender
Posted by: TripleM2 (---.vocus.co.nz)
Date: October 08, 2018 09:10AM

Answers to the standard questions:

Windows 10 64 bit
WampServer 3.0.6 64 bit
Apache 2.4.23 - PHP 5.6.25 - MySQL 5.7.14
WampServer is green
WampServer is all working properly (localhost, phpMyAdmin, no errors), installed in C:\wamp64

The problem is that every time I load it up, my CPU quickly goes into overdrive due to the Antimalware Service Executable process (around 30% CPU) and the System process (Around 18%).

After I right click the icon in the tray and exit WampServer, it continues to have high CPU for several minutes, before finally going back to normal.

Windows Defender doesn't find any actual malware - it just seems to be that while WampServer is running, it's forcing some sort of constant scan process. I have a reasonably old laptop so try to avoid things that involve high CPU for prolonged periods of time / cause the laptop to heat up.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Is it possible to whitelist Wamp to prevent this from happening (and if so, is that a good idea, or is there a better way of resolving the underlying issue).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High CPU due to Windows Defender
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2018 09:59AM

Hi,

You may exclude c:\wamp64 form Windows Defender scan :

windows-10-add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2018 10:00AM

Hi,

This is not normal activity for WAMPServer.

Can I suggest that you also look at the memory usage. If you only have a small amount of physical RAM then this might be that Windows is continally having to swap programs in and out of memory and the swap file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: TripleM2 (---.vocus.co.nz)
Date: October 11, 2018 12:01AM

Memory doesn't seem to be an issue; but of course, after experiencing this problem for a quite a while, as soon as I post here and start debugging further, it seems to have stopped. Will try to narrow things down further if it starts happening again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.