[SOLVED] Windows change from 8 to 10
Posted by: Krx (---.adsl.net.t-com.hr)
Date: December 12, 2018 03:29PM

Hello

I have WIndows 8.1 pro in C:, HDD drive
I installed wampserver in F:, separate SSD drive. Im using it for wamp only

I added new ssd disk in the system and installed Windows 10 pro in it, and created dual boot system.

Ive set it when booting in Win 10, SSD with wamp is marked with F:, the same like in WIn 8

Problem: - when In run Wamp in Win 10 it doesnt start, obviously.

Question: - Is it possible to tweak something so that I could run current wamp setup in Windows 10?
My plan is when I finish WIn 10 setup (it might take a few weeks) to abandon Win 8 installation.

Can I maybe simply reinstall wamp in same folder and retain all webs and databases?

I didnt try to do anything yet in order to minimize time loss for trial and errors.
OFC, I have whole wamp setup backuped, because of reasons smiling smiley

Any suggestion is welcomed

Thanks
Regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 06:39PM by Krx.

Re: Windows change
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2018 04:36PM

Hi,

The disk on which Wamp is installed MUST ALWAYS have the same drive letter, in this case F: regardless of the system running. In Windows 10, you can reassign drive letters through the disk manager.

Wampserver was installed under Windows 8.1, but when you launch it from Windows 10, the shortcuts were not created, so you do not launch Wampserver from its shortcuts, so not as an administrator.

Moreover, the essential services do not exist since they were not created under Windows 10, so they must be created.
Left-Click Wampmanager tray icon -> apache -> Service administration -> Install service
- same thing for MySQL
- same thing for MariaDB

Left-Click -> Start all services

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2018 07:47PM

Hi,

A perverse effect of this way of doing things is that since there will not have been any installation of Wampserver under Windows 10, there is no uninstall key in the registry, so no possibility to find the installation path of Wampserver, which means that all addons, applications, updates for Wampserver cannot be performed easily.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: Krx (---.adsl.net.t-com.hr)
Date: December 13, 2018 06:39PM

Hello

I think that I've solved it.

Yes I've paid attention so that drive with wampserv has the same letter

When I attempted to run Wamp when booted in Win 10 it shown some missing dlls warnings.
I googled for exact dll files names, downloaded needed platform installers from microsoft Net or Visual C++ platforms website, I forgot exact name, restarted PC, reinstalled latest Wampserv upgrader.
Not full installer, just upgrader which I guess added some needed paths in win 10 registry.

After that, as Otomatic suggested, I've re-installed all services from Wamp tools menu and
now I can run it under windows 10 as well, without need to do fresh install

Thanks for the hint smiling smiley

Regards

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2018 08:41PM

Just a note: WAMPServer only adds the Uninstall script to the Registry, so that was NOT your issue

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 08:41PM by RiggsFolly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.