Forms not $_POSTing or $_GETing
Posted by: thor1460 (---.cruzio.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:12PM

I just installed Wamp and I'm just testing it out on my local machine and I was trying to use some forms, but it appears that no $_POST data is being recieved, and no $_GET data is created in the URL.

I'm using forms that work fine on different hosts.

Re: Forms not $_POSTing or $_GETing
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 05:33PM

You are probably getting E_Notice errors. These errors come from small errors like uninitialized variables and a few other problems. WAMP has php set in the php.ini file to not display these errors.

To enable all errors to be shown (which I recommended for php development) open your php.ini file and find this line:
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_STRICT

Change this line to this:
error_reporting = E_ALL

Now save the file, and restart apache for the new php setting to take effect.

And to make php development way easier, we can tweak the php.ini file to use html error message. These html error messages produce clickable error messages that direct you to the help page at the php.net website that describes in detail your coding error or function that caused the error.

To enable html clickable error messages (highly recommended for php development) open up your php.ini file again, and find this line (please note that the colon ';' in the line below is not a typo):
;html_errors = Off

Remove the colon at the beginning of that line and then change this setting to On like this (notice that the colon has been removed from the front of this line to enable this setting):
html_errors = On

Save the file again, and restart apache for the new php setting to take effect. Try to access your script again, and if your script is causing an error, all errors will now be displayed.

Post Edited (03-28-06 17:34)

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP Forum Admin

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Re: Forms not $_POSTing or $_GETing
Posted by: thor1460 (---.cruzio.com)
Date: April 04, 2006 05:19AM

I figured out the problem.

My document is XHTML1.1, and therefore I was using id tags instead of name tags on the form inputs. This is the correct thing to do with XHTML1.1, and works when the same files are uploaded to other servers, but for some reason it doesn't work locally.

I fixed the problem by replacing the id tags with name ones. To me this is not an acceptable compromise, because now my documents aren't spec.

Any ideas?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.