Hacked?
Posted by: stud~muffin (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: March 25, 2006 05:27AM

yeah...I have a major question. I'm still new to this server stuff. and Strictly PHP. I have a question to how secure this is..I was using it just fine for about 11 days. then all the sudden my computer's Internet Explorer crashed. I couldn't connect to the internet with it, or anything else with port 80 on my computer. MSN Messanger worked fine, and email worked fine. But even entering [localhost] was coming back 404'd.

I have a question to how many hackers there REALLY are in this world...and if it's possible that I got hacked?

I've completly Reinstalled my computer(I usualy do that every 3 months anyway), but I'm still installing Windows Updates before I reload my server.

At the time. I had ports 80, 25, and 3306. I recently noticed I also had port 21 (ftp port i belive) activated.
I had Wamp installed, with PHP5 and apache 2.
I also had a Free Email Server program called mailtrax running.
On my server I had some files, a Private folder Set for One IP to access, and a www.phpbb.com forum installed to the server.

How safe is Wamp? I hadn't added Any mod's into PHP, or APACHE, other than the ones already installed and set that Wamp actived when It was installed.

Could it be Possible I was hacked?

If i WAS hacked because of Wamp's, Insecurity. How can I fix that problem?

If anyone can help me I would be MOST appreciative

Nooby-teen!! Learning about PHP and apache and Lovin' it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hacked?
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 06:58AM

If IE craches, it is a probem with IE.

WAMP is a very insecure server. it does not have any security in place. it was desgined to be for testing and development only, not for hosting websites.

So, make sure WAMP is only running when you need it and turn it off when you are finished using it. Do not install WAMP as a service when you install it, unless you know what you are doing, use the tray icon to start and stop apache and mysql.

Posted by: stud~muffin (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: March 25, 2006 08:36AM

well dang....

I love the wamp software.. Do you have any suggestion to how i could just make it more secure? or would that require installing Apache, php, and mysql seperatly without Wamps help?

Until i can offord like, an Actual Server, i was hoping to host my website with wamp to sell my sell items for a Business i'm trying to start...i'm guessing thats a VERY bad idea?

Nooby-teen!! Learning about PHP and apache and Lovin' it!

Posted by: universalbitmapper (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 10:42AM

There is an O'Reilly book about Apache administration, covering security.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.