Local Host "Unable to connect"
Posted by: Digilee (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2018 11:29AM

I have just installed (as admin) WampServer 3.1.3 64 bit
Apache 2.4.33 - PHP 5.6.35
MySQL 5.7.21
MariaDB 10.2.14
PHP 5.6.35 for CLI (Command-Line Interface
On my Win10 machine. I7, 16GB, plenty of disk space

Not running Skype, disabled IIS in Windows Features
Made every check/modification presented in the 'Tips' FAQ (at least I tried - I assume I did them correctly)

Green Icon - no Apache or PHP log errors
phpMyAdmin starts fine - no error messages, root@localhost

No apparent blocking in the Windows Firewall

But NO web page served when Localhost menu item clicked (or for that matter, entered into browser directly)

At one point a couple of days ago, it worked, but when I came back to it, it no longer worked. I have completely (I believe) uninstalled and re-installed several times.

Help. Please.

Regards, Lee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Local Host "Unable to connect"
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2018 11:57AM

Hi,

Do you mean that you do not see the WAMPServer homepage?
Or do you mean you do not see YOUR sites homepage?

I hope you did not put your site into the \wamp64\www folder, as that folder should remain untouched in order to get the wampserver homepage

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: September 12, 2018 01:09PM

Hi,

I have put my web pages in a public_html folder under the www folder the first time, but when I couldn't get the thing to work, I did a clean install and was still unsuccessful. Rinse and Repeated several times to no avail.

Very frustrating.

Regards,
Lee

Date: September 12, 2018 01:10PM

WAMPServer does not have a `public_html` folder.

Are you sure you are using WAMPServer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: September 13, 2018 06:28AM

Yes, I am very sure I am using WampServer 3.1.3, 64 bit.

The public_html folder is an image of my netfirms.com website. They store customers' web pages in that folder. I like to develop my site on a local machine and my site uses PHP. I did this several years ago using a different server setup which I no longer have.

Thanks,
Lee

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2018 09:12AM

Hi,

For your local sites, you MUST use VirtualHost, as with all hosting providers.
See : The need for Virtual Host and Wampserver 3 - Create or add a VirtualHost

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: adimahe (223.190.122.---)
Date: September 13, 2018 09:15AM

facing the same issue

As I have installed the files accordingly and after doing the installation ,I have kept my project in the www folder and at first time it was running fine but now its not working its showing the database error
A Database Error Occurred
Unable to connect to your database server using the provided settings.

Please help ASAP!

Date: September 13, 2018 09:16AM

Thanks, I'll check that out.
I guess I have to ask why the thing doesn't work out of the box (following the instructions in the installer)? Is it because it is intended to serve web pages to other computers on the network, or even in the outside world?

Regards.
Lee

Posted by: adimahe (223.190.122.---)
Date: September 13, 2018 09:19AM

yes I have followed all the instruction on the installer.I have used maria db in this

Date: September 13, 2018 09:23AM

Not to complicate things too much, but on a hunch, I tried Wamp32, even though my O/S is 64-bit. Same result. I thought that I had seen one of the install articles saying the the Wamp64 was experimental and that it was best to use the 32-bit. Kinda weak argument, but...

Lee

Date: September 13, 2018 09:29AM

@adimahe
> Please help ASAP!
You are not on a "hot line".
In addition:
- You come to interfere in a discussion that is not your own
- The installation of local sites, CMS, WEB applications, PHP libraries is YOUR responsibility and not that of the Wampserver server.
From the moment you have access to the Wampserver home page (localhost) and PhpMyAdmin, it means that Wampserver is functional (Apache, PHP, MySQL or MariaDcool smiley, which happens in 99.9% of cases out of the box, the 0.1% of non-operation is due to non-compliance with the prerequisites.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: September 13, 2018 09:32AM

Hi,

> I guess I have to ask why the thing doesn't work out of the box
With Wampserver, you have installed a web server, a database server, PHP language and SQL queries.
Congratulations, that means you're now supposed to be:

- Network administrator
- Web server administrator
- Database Administrator
- Developer
- Analyst
- Programmer.
- etc.

All these roles normally occupy at least one person per zone. These people are expected to know what they are doing before they start.

WAMPServer is mainly a LEARNING TOOL, so that people can learn and try to take one or more of these trades in hand.

Once out of the box, WAMPServer works 99.9% of the time. The remaining 0.1% is mainly due to non-compliance with the prerequisites.

However, the skills needed to use it correctly are not acquired on their own, and are not part of the Wampserver box.

The role of this forum is to allow you to have the basic operation of Wampserver, i. e.:
- Icon of the notification area of the green taskbar.
- Access to the Wampserver homepage "localhost"
- No error message at the bottom of the "localhost" page
- Local access to PhpMyAdmin

Once there, Wampserver is functional; the rest: installation of CMS or WEB application, access from outside, resolution of PHP errors, etc. is not within the scope of this forum.

Date: September 13, 2018 09:42AM

Thank you, Mr. Matic,

First you state:

"All these roles normally occupy at least one person per zone. These people are EXPECTED TO KNOW what they are doing before they start." (My capitals.)

Then you immediately contradict yourself by stating:

"WAMPServer is mainly a LEARNING TOOL, so that people can learn and try to take one or more of these trades in hand." (Not my capitals.)

I do appreciate the help I've received so far, as I AM just learning it. I guess I am violating your principles a bit because I want to use the WampServer to help me debug locally; although maybe not the main use, it is very much nicer than using an external web-based server, or even just another server on the local network, especially since I have only one machine at my disposal at the moment.

Thanks again. I am going to try the virtual host suggestion later today.

Regards,
Lee

Date: September 13, 2018 09:48AM

One more thing to add - I believe I did see the sticky post "The NEED for VIRTUAL PORTS", but in my infinite wisdom, I blew past it. If I may make a suggestion, you should add a pointer to that FAQ in the install quick guide. Unless it is there and I blew past that, too.

Thanks for the third time,

Lee

Date: September 13, 2018 11:22AM

I guess I am violating your principles a bit because I want to use the WampServer to help me debug locally;

Not a violation at all, that is probably the main use of WAMPServer.

As to the contradiction: A little pedantic I think.
Please remember Oto in French and writes much better English than most of us English speakers could do if we tried to write in French.

As to WAMP64 being experimental: NO, Never.

What was EXPERIMENTAL was 64bit PHP. Until PHP 7 the 64bit implementaion of PHP on Windows was experimental in so far as it was not a complete port of PHP to the 64bit environment.
As of PHP7.0 PHP is now a full port to the 64bit environment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 01:29PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: September 13, 2018 12:29PM

Hi,

My native language is French. It may therefore be that my expression in English does not accurately reflect my thoughts; and yes, I am not yet thinking in English, which may lead to some misunderstandings.

Our parents spent hours and hours teaching us to go to the potty when we were in our infancy, because knowing how to use the toilet is an essential skill in society.
Our teachers have spent months and years teaching us to read, write and count.
In secondary school, we spent many months learning one or more foreign languages.
By majority, even after hours of accompanied driving, it took at least twenty hours of training to "know" how to drive a car.
I spent four years of apprenticeship before practicing my profession, then five years at the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers to perfect my knowledge and skills.
Nevertheless, popular belief would have us all be computer wizards at a stroke of a magic wand.
As long as we do not firmly explain that computing (yes, it is very general...) is like reading, writing, counting, like a language or a culture: you have to learn and practice for a long time to "use" it correctly, everyone will think they are a computer scientist from the moment they use Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Google, and at 5% of the possibilities, Word, Excel or Powerpoint.
Today, advertisers, marketers, salespeople say exactly the opposite, that the computer can do everything, easily and simply, difficult to blame too much on the consumer to whom it flatters the ego.

However, if you find a server that, with a simple click, allows you to automatically, securely and without any problem transfer your sites from a host, please uninstall Wampserver and take this panacea instead.

All this to make you understand that the miracle tool does not exist and that the establishment of local sites is not innate but must be acquired, just like all skills.

Date: September 13, 2018 01:31PM

Hear Hear!

Very Well Said mon amie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 01:32PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: September 13, 2018 02:05PM

Once again, I appreciate your help. I was not and am not expecting miracles. I was a hardware technician, then a hardware engineer, and for the past 25 years, a software/firmware engineer. Although I am quite proficient with a variety of languages, networking is not one of them. So when I need a tool to help me with debugging my primary work, I look to the font of all knowledge, the internet. Do I expect miracles? No. But I want them.

I was not really complaining, but rather suggesting an extra step in the install instructions that would have avoided my question in the first place. I know you can't have complete instructions for the dimwit, so a simple explanation of that fact would have been enough.

As it turns out, the standard Wamp setup includes a default virtual host for c:\wamp\www anyway, which is why, no doubt, I actually got a page the first time I tried last week.

My real problem has something to do with the browser. When I use Firefox (my default) in normal mode, it does not work. When I use it in Private mode, it DOES work. The Edge Browser also has problems with it. The Chrome browser works fine. I'll track it down. It appears to be related either to the default port used by the browser when a port is not specified, or something to do with https.

Thanks again sincerely for your assistance, it really did help.

Regards,
Lee

P.S.

Mr. Matic, your English is tons better than my French. I applaud you!

Date: September 13, 2018 04:44PM

Hi,

> As it turns out, the standard Wamp setup includes a default virtual host for c:\wamp\www
This as well as the need for VirtualHost will be explained in the new document "instructions_for_use.pdf/rtf" which will be implemented with the update 3.1.4, an update essential to be able to use PHP 7.3.0 which is now in RC1 version.

> It appears to be related either to the default port used by the browser when a port is not specified
The default port of the http protocol is port 80, so it is never specified in the url.
If, for various reasons, you are forced to use another port, two things are imperative:
- 1 - Change listening port by the Wampserver option
Right-Click wampmanager tray icon -> Tools -> Use a port other than 80
Performed in this way, the port change is done in all files where necessary. Whereas if you change it only - by hand - in the httpd.conf file, you will inevitably have problems.
- 2 - Always specify this listening port other than 80 in the url
For example : 'http://localhost:8080/'

- There is also the possibility to use listening ports in addition to port 80
Right-Click wampmanager tray icon -> Tools -> Add a listen port for Apache

- https is not supported “out of the box”.
Again, this implementation requires knowing what you are doing and why. To do so automatically is to face problems.
RiggsFolly has explanations on how to do it ( [forum.wampserver.com] )and I think I found a site that explains it in a simple and effective way : [articlebin.michaelmilette.com]

Wampserver is no exception to the rule that documentation is the poor part of developers.

> Mr. Matic, your English is tons better than my French. I applaud you!
Thanks. Throughout my professional life, I have mainly used English in reading and writing and rarely in speaking.
That's why it's better not to hear my "terrific French accent" which, despite everything, makes me smile now at the evocation of some memories when I was young and handsome, for example in a traineeship in the USA.

To remain sincere and not being as young and handsome as before, I try to simplify my life and sometimes I use https://www.deepl.com/translator

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 06:33PM by Otomatic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.