Public Access
Posted by: Claudius (---.bardstown.com)
Date: August 23, 2018 01:51AM

I apologize for bothering you guys again. I'm having a bad time accessing my website from the public internet. I've been all over this forum as well as the internet at large and have tried a number of software edits but thus far nothing works.

My condition is as follows:

Clean install of Windows 10 Pro v1803
Installed all of the Microsoft Redistributable packages, all present
Installed WAMPServer 3.1.3 without issue
Manually added a folder under c:/wamp64/www for my website, HumHub
Modified file permission on the Hosts file to allow Virtual Hosts to edit the file
"Add a Virtual Host" ran to completion with no error
Decompressed HumHub into my target directory

I can access HumHub via the browser on my webserver computer but not from any other computer. My Hpptd-Vhosts.conf file is as follows:

# Virtual Hosts
#
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
DocumentRoot "${INSTALL_DIR}/www"
<Directory "${INSTALL_DIR}/www/">
Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

#
ServerName redrubberball
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp64/www/redrubberball"
<Directory "c:/wamp64/www/redrubberball/">
AllowOverride All
# Require local
Require all granted
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Like I said berfore, I apologize in advance for bothering you guys but I'm really, really needing to get this show on the road. Can you help me out with this one?

Best regards....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Public Access
Date: August 23, 2018 01:58AM

I apologize again, I should have included that the error I'm getting from the machine attempting connection via the public internet is "403 Forbidden"

"You don't have permission to access /Foldername on this server."

Posted by: nk707 (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: August 24, 2018 07:43PM

Check you http.conf file, there is part that looks like this:

<Directory />
AllowOverride none
Order Deny,Allow
Require all denied
</Directory>

<Directory C:\wamp64\www\xxxx>
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

Enter this code.
The first part says that alle folders are blocked to public people. The second part unblocks the folder C:\wamp64\www\xxxx. This should be the folder with the files of the website.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2018 08:49PM

Hi,

By integrating directives for Apache 2.2 into Apache 2.4, you hope it works?

The principle you are referring to is to take the <Directory....> structure out of the <VirtualHost...> structure.

That is to replace
  ServerName redrubberball
    AllowOverride All
    Require all granted
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
by
  ServerName redrubberball
</VirtualHost>

AllowOverride All
  Require all granted
</Directory>

And it is true that in some cases it works.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: August 25, 2018 03:15PM

Thank You nk707 and Otomatic for your answers.

Please understand my condition. I am disabled and spend my day in a powered recliner and most generally just look out the window and play with fakebook so when I say that I've been working on this problem, suffice it to say that I've been spending a lot of time on the problem.

First let me say that these answers that you've given me, I've seen them before on other websites and blogs. Nk707, I assume that you are directing me to edit the "hpptd.conf: file, is this correct?

Another question...

In my system tray, if I right click on the green WAMPServer icon, under WAMP Settings there is a menu item, "Menu Item: Online/Offline." My experience with this selection is that it's a one way street, that one you use this technique to put your WAMPServer online you can't go back, or at least I haven't discovered how to go back yet.

My question in regards to this "Online/Offline" thing is, do I make the edit to the hpptd.conf file and then put the WAMPServer online? Can you tell me in specific how to put my website online. Like I said before, I'm a complete noob at this and what I've read so far has confused me more than anything else. For example, directions to the effect of, "First, do this..." and then, "next do this..." and so forth.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Regards...

Date: August 25, 2018 11:03PM

Otomatic!

Youdaman!

Fire for effect!

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2018 09:30AM

Hi,

Wamp Settings : Item menu Online/Offline is there only for historical reasons and to keep compatibility with very old versions of Wampserver. That's what you read in: The need for Virtual Host

This item means that you have absolutely nothing to modify in the httpd.conf file. But, this way of doing it is obsolete and, moreover, presents a bug which will be corrected in the update 3.1.4: Correct default Put Offline after Online.

Wampserver is designed for local development and what I have a hard time understanding is that many absolutely want to make it a production server, even if they know nothing about it, while there are many hosting providers ensuring excellent service and adequate security for prices within everyone's reach.

You totally forget that with Wampserver, you installed a Web server, a database server, the PHP language and SQL queries.
Congratulations, that means you're now supposed to be:

- Network Administrator
- Web server administrator
- Database Administrator
- Developer
- Analyst
- Programmer.
- and so on

All these roles normally occupy at least one person per zone, which is done by the hosting providers. They are expected to know what they are doing before they begin.

WAMPServer is mainly a LEARNING TOOL, so that people can learn and try to take in hand one or more of these trades.

Out of the box, WAMPServer works 99.9% of the time. The remaining 0.1% is mainly due to non-compliance with the prerequisites.

However, the skills needed to use it correctly are not acquired by themselves, and are not part of the Wampserver box.

This forum has for role to allow you the basic operation of Wampserver, that is to say :
- Green taskbar notification area icon.
- Access to the Wampserver homepage " localhost ".
- No error message at the bottom of the "localhost" page
- Local access to PhpMyAdmin

Once there, Wampserver is functional; the rest: installation of CMS or WEB application, access from outside, resolution of PHP errors, etc. is not the domain of this forum although we often answer this kind of questions.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.