Installation question
Posted by: peterpiper (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: April 11, 2018 04:43AM

I am trying to be absolutely certain that I have installed my local site correctly in a virtual host, since this appears to be so important. I initially set up the site using the sticky "Wampserver 3 Create a Virtual Host, the easy way". I have also read through the sticky "The Need for Virtual Hosts", and worked my way through it, checking all the files that the sticky says should be edited. Everything appears to be working correctly, except for 2 things.

1) At the bottom of the WampServer Homepage, there is a heading "Your Projects", with the option "sitefolder" below it. When I click on the link I get the message "This site can't be reached. Sitefolder's server IP address could not be found."

2) Under the heading "Your Virtual Host", there are two items - localhost and sitename. When I click on "sitename", a page opens with the heading "Index of/" and a link to the wordpress folder. When I click on that link, a page opens with the address "sitename/wordpress/. This page has the website header and top menu, but no actual page - just the error message "Error 404-Page NOT found". When I click on the "home" link in the top menu, the web site then opens correctly. The address of the website home page is "localhost/sitefolder/wordpress/".

Can some kind person tell me if these two issues indicate that I have done something incorrectly, and what I need to do to fix them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 04:43AM by peterpiper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installation question
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2018 11:30AM

Hi Peter,

Can you post your httpd-vhost.conf file along with the answers to all these questions

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: peterpiper (---.bras2.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: April 12, 2018 03:40AM

C:\wamp64\bin\apache\apache2.4.27\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf

# Virtual Hosts
#
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp64/www"
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
<Directory "c:/wamp64/www">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName sitename
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp64/www/sitefolder"
<Directory "c:/wamp64/www/sitefolder/">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS

1) Windows 7 Home 64
2) WampServer Version 3.1.0 - 64bit
3) Apache 2.4.27
4) PHP Version: 5.6.31
5) MySQL Version: 5.7.19
5a) MariaDB Version: 10.2.8
6) WampServer Icon: Green
7) Hosts file active lines:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 sitename

::1 localhost
::1 sitename

8) Do you have access to localhost (Homepage WampServer)?: Yes
8a) No error messages

9) Do you have access to phpMyAdmin?: Yes

10) When clicking on "Sitefolder" in Wampserver Homepage I get the following error message:

This site can’t be reached
sitefolder’s server IP address could not be found.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy, firewall and DNS configuration
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

11) Security Software: Windows Firewall, Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Premium

12) Full path to the installation of WampServer: C:\wamp64\

13) Virtual Host Definition - I'm not sure what this means. Is it different from the httpd-vhosts.conf which I have posted above?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 03:44AM by peterpiper.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2018 10:06AM

Hi

That is in fact the correct response for WAMPSevrer 3.

You should also see the sitename link under the `Your Virtual Hosts` menu, use that instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.