New to WAMP: Error trying to open my Virtual Host site on my local PC
Posted by: jcrider (---.skybroadband.com)
Date: March 25, 2018 07:05PM

All,

I should be grateful for any help you could give me to resolve this, which [I hope] is a very simple solution and down to user buffoonery [i.e. me].

I am very new to WAMP and WordPress, which I started looking at over 6 months ago before having to put it on hold due to various reasons.

At the time I had several test sites on my local PC (Virtual hosts) that I access by:

- Opening WAMP
- Then Opening the Sites via the URL I has chosen.

This always worked well, but since then I am now unable to open the sites.

In trying to resolve this, I have created yet another site, but with the same issue occurring. I have taken 8 screenshots showing the steps I am taking, but I don't seem to be able to insert the images here, or create an image link. Nonetheless, I did this following:

1. [imgur.com] Created a new folder and put the WordPress files within it
2. [imgur.com] Opening localhost I created a new virtual site
3. [imgur.com] Gave the virtual host a name and entered to folder location that I created from Step 1
4. [imgur.com] The next screen confirms the virtual host has been successfully created
5. [imgur.com] Restarted the DNS server on my local PC
6. [imgur.com] With the DNS restarted I open a new browser window and entering the new site .dev name
7. [imgur.com] This is the error message I get
8. [imgur.com] This is how I would expect it to look. The image was taken from the Lynda.com course

Again, I am very new to all this and what I know I have learnt purely from through Lynda.com.

Needless to say, I don't really know what else to do and am naturally reluctant to uninstall, then reinstall in the 'hope' that might fix it.

Any suggestions to fixing it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to WAMP: Error trying to open my Virtual Host site on my local PC
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2018 08:28PM

Hi,

Google, via the Chrome browser, has appropriated the TLD (Top-level domain) "dev".

All domain names with".dev" TLDs are considered by Chrome as belonging to Google and will not be processed through the local PC DNS, i.e. hosts file.

Locally, you are not obliged to use a TLD and you can do without it, for example by having as ServerName "testingtesting" without TLD or with a TLD that is not "dev", for example "test".
However, a ServerName such as "dev.testingtesting" will not be monopolized by Chrome.

Another solution is not to use Chrome and take Firefox instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: March 25, 2018 08:51PM

Hi Otomatic,

Thank you for your reply.

I've installed FireFox and tested it out, but no joy: [imgur.com]

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

JC

Date: March 25, 2018 09:03PM

Hi,

Why https and not http ?

Wampserver does not support https, unless you have made the many necessary changes and created the appropriate keys.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: March 25, 2018 09:16PM

Its adding it itself.

I have tried http:// testingtesting.dev (without the space), where it thinks about it for about 3 seconds before returning with the https

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2018 09:17PM by jcrider.

Date: March 25, 2018 09:21PM

Hi Otomatic,

Just to be clear, this isnt a live website, just a test one hosted on my own PC using WAMP and WordPress.

for the life of me I cant remember anything else i did different in the past... so it should work... but sadly no joy yet.

Date: March 25, 2018 09:23PM

Hi,

As Wampserver does not support https it is not Wampserver that changes http to https.

Date: March 25, 2018 09:54PM

Hi,

For your local sites and for Wordpress in particular, have you used VirtualHost?
Web applications and CMS, must be installed in VirtualHost, as is practiced by all hosts.

See The need for Virtual Host and Wampserver 3 - Create or add a VirtualHost

Date: March 26, 2018 12:30AM

Hi Otomatic,

Thank you for this.

I read through the link you sent and [I think] it matches what I did within the 8 steps, in my 1st post above.

I added screenshots in all 8 steps to show exactly what I did.

I appreciate the time you are giving to help me, but would you have a quick glance at the 8 screenshots in order of 1 to 8 and see if there is anything glaringly obvious I am missing?

Thank you,

JC

Date: March 26, 2018 09:27AM

Hi,

Please READ (and answer) BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION

After preparing your answers to the above questions, do the following:
- Launch Wampserver
- Right-Click -> Tools -> Empty logs -> Empty all logs files -> Y
- Left-Click -> localhost
- Yours VirtualHost -> testingtesting

If it always goes to https and error, see errors in logs files Apache error log and Apache access log.

Posted by: jcrider (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: March 30, 2018 04:54PM

Hi Otomatic,

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you.

You're quite right about me needing to read and then answer the question, apologies and duly noted smiling smiley.

I have just emptied the log files and tried the testingtesting.dev virtual host again, but with the same failed screen, where it adds the https:// prefix.

Apache Error Log is still empty, but the Apache Access Log displays the following:

::1 - - [30/Mar/2018:15:43:58 +0100] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 6031
::1 - - [30/Mar/2018:15:43:59 +0100] "GET /index.php?img=pngFolderGo HTTP/1.1" 200 694
::1 - - [30/Mar/2018:15:43:59 +0100] "GET /index.php?img=pngWrench HTTP/1.1" 200 741
::1 - - [30/Mar/2018:15:43:59 +0100] "GET /index.php?img=pngFolder HTTP/1.1" 200 850
::1 - - [30/Mar/2018:15:43:59 +0100] "GET /index.php?img=gifLogo HTTP/1.1" 200 4549
::1 - - [30/Mar/2018:15:43:59 +0100] "GET /index.php?img=pngPlugin HTTP/1.1" 200 548

However, what did work is setting up another [new] virtual host, simply titled 'test' (without the .dev suffix), and it worked!

So you are absolutely right about the .dev causing the problem, but it did work 6+ months ago, so I don't know what has changed?

The other problem I have is I now cant access all the work I carried out under my .dev virtual hosts (i.e. from 6 months ago).

Sorry again for the delay, and thanks for your help with this.

JC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2018 08:16PM by jcrider.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2018 11:59AM

Hi,

Please explain a bit more about why you "cant access all the work I carried out under my .dev virtual hosts"

Could it be that that was done in a WordPress site?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 03, 2018 02:58AM

Hi RiggsFolly,

Thanks for your reply.

The main issue I've had s being unable to open any of my older virtual hosts I created 6+ months ago, all of which ended in .dev

For example, I have a virtual host titled testingtesting.dev but it comes back with the following page:

[imgur.com]

However, if I create a new virtual host without including .dev then it works. For example, if create a new one called testingtesting then it will work.

The problem I have is all the work I did 6+ months ago is in all those hosts ending in .dev

Any suggestions on what I should do (and how I should do it) would be greatly appreciated. {perhaps I need to copy and paste all the work I did out of these .dev folders and put them in a new one?)

Thanks in advance,

JC

(I should add I am very new to WordPress so please forgive my ignorance with some of these things)

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2018 05:00PM

Hi,

Ok, there is nothing we can do about Google buying all the .dev domains.

There is nothing we can do about Chrome, and very soon I hear Firefox coding an inbuilt divert of all .dev domains to the internet and using https as well.

However you can easily change all your domains to .test for example.

All you then need to do is amend the domain name in each of your wordpress sites using the provided documentation [codex.wordpress.org]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 04, 2018 10:24AM

Hello RiggsFolly,

Ohh thats what it is?! Thank you.

I thought it was something I had done wrong.

I'm away for a few days now, but I'll have a look through the link you sent when I get back.

Thank you again for your help.

JC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.