CHMOD Question
Posted by: metalac (---.cmu.carnet.hr)
Date: March 19, 2006 11:28PM

hi all! well i have a litle question i would like to us ur wamp server for local development and testing pnc etc... so i was wondering can i chmod files with ur server i was using phpdev i comes with every thing even with ftp server (cerberus) so when i want to chmod some files i cant, chmod on all files are 066 and i cant change it what chmod i try it ievery time it`s 066! im using winxp pro sp2 + auto pacher i hope u can help me! thx 4 ur time!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CHMOD Question
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 01:48PM

chmod is only supported on linux systems. if you are installing a script on your WAMP server, and it asks to chmod files, ignore it because you can not set chmod on windows based computers. also remember once you finish testing and developing your scripts on your wamp server, and you upload to a webhost, it they are linux based you will have to set chmod for the files.

Date: March 20, 2006 10:47PM

thx for ur help! can u recomend a linux distibution that is not demanding high system hardware because i would like to installit on vmware virtual pc, and can u recomend any lamp servers like ur software or u also have a linux version of ur software and mybe a linux distribution that already has apachi, sql and php in it! thx for ur time again!

Post Edited (03-20-06 23:47)

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 01:35AM

Well here are some killer sitess related to Linux...

Linux Info for newbies
[www.linuxiso.org]

Linux Disto Watch, a site that has links to tons of different flavors of linux
[distrowatch.com]

Linux ISO forums - one of the best place for newbies as well as oldbies to get help or info on the most popular linux distros:
[forums.linuxiso.org]

If are looking for a good linux distro, i recommend Suse, there free open souce distro called OpenSuse. It is one of the most popular, it is easy to use. I have it installed right now.
[opensuse.org]

Another popular distro is RedHat Fedora, but Suse is easier to use in my opinion.4
[fedoraproject.org]

When you install suse, or fedora, you can choose during the install process to install apche, mysql, and php. But, you need to know about a few things about apache, php, mysql to get them working, and how to start them. An easier way to get apache, mysql, and php for Linux is to install a version of WAMP from www.apachefriends.org called XAMPP. you can find the linux version here:
[www.apachefriends.org]

XAMPP for Linux is extremely easy to install and use.

Date: March 21, 2006 11:10PM

thx man!!!! this realy helps and im in luck because i have a suse 9.2 on my comp winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.