No themes or images when put online
Posted by: Pierce Da Dev (---.knology.net)
Date: December 19, 2017 05:38AM

1 - WIn 10 64bit
2 - WampServer 3.1.0 64bit
3 - Apache 2.4.27
4 - PHP 5.6.31
5 - MySQL 5.7.19
5a - MariaDB 10.2.8
6 - WampServerStatus: Green

I have just started using WAMPServer 3.1.0, and I'm trying to temporarily put my "site" online. I got it online and can reach it through myip:80/wordpress, but the theme and images won't show. I'm new to WP and PHP, apache, and all that so I am lost on what I need to change... I know I need to change where apache looks to grab the images and theme but I'm not sure on which folder/file it is in.

from what it looks like the themes and everything are trying to point to localhost. Where do i go to change that to myip:80?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 06:38AM by Pierce Da Dev.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No themes or images when put online
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2017 11:57AM

Hi Pierce,

WordPress is a bit of a beast in this area. But it is WordPress that is causing you these issues.

When you install WordPress it stores the domain name/URL in its database. So if you installed it into `localhost/wordpress` then that url will be remembered and used when trying to find assets like the ones you mention as well as others.

The solution is either to amend the remembered url in its database, you can find info on the wordpress site telling you how to do this or you install it into an Apache Virtual Host, which is our suggestion.
If you setup a Dynamic DNS domain name, for example `xxx.dyndns.net`and then create a Virtual Host with that name pointing to your routers WAN ip address things should work.

Of course none of this is simple and straight forward and requires a bit of knowledge and experience.

Final Note:
Running a site from a Windows PC (i.e. not a server OS) will give you very poor results. Desktop windows OS's have a limit on the number of external connections (Win10 = 30) and Windows already uses some of these 30 for its own purposes, so the limit will be around 20 in reality, so unless you just want to show a client what you have done so far it is not a satisfactory solution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 12:09PM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2017 12:04PM

Hi,

> Desktop windows OS's have a limit on the number of external connections (Win10 = 30)
Warning : This maximum number of 30 includes all internal Windows connections, which in some cases may exceed ten.

Posted by: Pierce Da Dev (---.knology.net)
Date: December 21, 2017 06:35AM

So I tried your steps and I followed steps found here: [stackoverflow.com].....

And when I go to [mysite] I get "... can not connect to 'localhost'...
Is there a file I missed changing? I changed all the ones from the post exactly.

also, Im just using this PC to test and try things out... I have an actual WS2012 R2 that I will eventually transfer my sites to... since im new to all this, Im using my laptop as a guinea pig to try things out before committing.... kind like a my own personal GitHub

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 08:42AM by Pierce Da Dev.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.