Should have kept the older version...
Posted by: rlg0613 (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 01:58AM

Only a week ago I decided to upgrade my wamp5. I should have known better.

I've got Apache and MySQL running, but when I try to bring up the simplest php page all I get is the text to show in the browser. It's as if php were not running. I've dropped back to the Hello world example. For example I save this as hello.php

<html>
<head>
<title>PHP Test</title>
</head>
<body>
<?php echo '<p>Hello World</p>'; ?>
</body>
</html>

When I run it I see this in the browser:

Hello World

'; ?>

Why is the closing tag showing? It gets worse if I try more complicated files.

I'm running MS Win 2000 Pro, Firefox 1.5, wamp Version 1.6.1 with Apache/2.0.55, php 5.1.2, and MySQL version : 5.0.18-nt.. My local host wamp page comes up fine and wamp shows 2 services running (should it be 3?). The services shown are Apache and MySQL. I don't remember on my old version if php ran as a service or not.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should have kept the older version...
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 04:20AM

not sure what your problem is, test it myself and it works fine. did you save the file as a php file or as a html file. you need to save php files with the php extention for them to work. also, make sure the file is in your www folder, or php wont work.

php is a programming language, not a server.

Date: March 15, 2006 01:15PM

Actually I saved it both ways, I was desperate. It didn't work either way.
Yes php is a language, but doesn't something (like a service) need to be running on the server side (local host) to interpret the files being activated with a .php extension? I don't think Apache recognizes .php by default and even if it did it would have to hand it over to some other process to interpret the file. I suspect that whatever that other process is is not running on my installation. Thanks for your response.

Bob

Date: March 15, 2006 07:53PM

Q.> Yes php is a language, but doesn't something (like a service) need to be running on the server side (local host)
A.> php is just a programming language. you just need an apache web server, and php installed to get php to work.

Q.> I don't think Apache recognizes .php by default and even if it did it would have to hand it over to some other process to interpret the file.
A.> Yes, apache does not come with php enabled by default. You just need to add a couple lines in your httpd.conf file to get apache to parse php files. But, WAMP comes with php installed and working with apache by default. So after you install WAMP, you don’t have to edit any files to get php working.

Q.> I suspect that whatever that other process is is not running on my installation.
A.> As long as your try icon says you have two services running, that is good, both Apache and MySQL are on and working. Also, double check, and make sure you put php and html files here:
c:\WAMP\www

Date: March 15, 2006 11:55PM

I appreciate your response. I'm replaying, in my mind, what I've done in the last few weeks. I started out with wamp5 1.6.0 which worked fine. I got diverted on an unrelated project and when I got back I decided to remove wamp5 and install php 5.1.2 as an independent package. Time passed and I got diverted again. I realized that what I really wanted was the wamp5 collection again so I removed php 5.1.2 and downloaded a fresh copy of wamp5 which was 1.6.1. That's when I started having the problems.

I assume what happened was even though I removed php 5.1.2 there must be something in my system as a result which is not allowing Apache to parse the php files. I do remember that when I removed php I got the usual prompt to remove various dll's which may no longer be needed. I always say no so they have remained on my system.

Maybe I need to remove wamp5, reinstall php 5.1.2, remove php 5.1.2 and when prompted delete the dll's, and then reinstall wamp5 again. Sounds like I did a pretty stupid thing and I don't want to do another. I'm open for suggestions. Thanks.

Bob

CyberSpatium wrote:

> Q.> Yes php is a language, but doesn't something (like a
> service) need to be running on the server side (local host)
> A.> php is just a programming language. you just need an
> apache web server, and php installed to get php to work.
>
> Q.> I don't think Apache recognizes .php by default and
> even if it did it would have to hand it over to some other
> process to interpret the file.
> A.> Yes, apache does not come with php enabled by
> default. You just need to add a couple lines in your httpd.conf
> file to get apache to parse php files. But, WAMP comes with php
> installed and working with apache by default. So after you
> install WAMP, you don’t have to edit any files to get php
> working.
>
> Q.> I suspect that whatever that other process is is not
> running on my installation.
> A.> As long as your try icon says you have two services
> running, that is good, both Apache and MySQL are on and
> working. Also, double check, and make sure you put php and html
> files here:
> c:\WAMP\www

Date: March 16, 2006 01:30AM

keeping all the dll files is not going to cause any problems. You say you installed php 5.1.2 your self. Did you also install apache too? if you did, remove that version of apache you installed yourself.

Date: March 16, 2006 01:57AM

I said it was a stupid thing I did...

Here's the problem and the solution. It was probably in the suggestions provided, but I missed it.

I was creating the php files and depositing them in the wamp\www folder. No problem so far. Then when I would go to test them I would open the browser and choose File | Open file..., and then I would browse for the d:\wamp\www folder and choose the file I wanted to test.

What I would end up with in the navagation bar was:

file:///D:/wamp/www/form.php

and this would bomb every time. When I replaced the path in the navagation bar with:

[localhost]

it works every time. I'm not sure of the technical explaination (I would like to know) but it seems logical. Thanks again for help.

Bob

Date: March 16, 2006 04:33PM

if you run file:///D:/wamp/www/form.php, you are running the file locally, so it just displays the page without being parced by apache. running [localhost] uses the webserver which parces the file and php code and displays the content.

Posted by: SighKick (---.com)
Date: March 17, 2006 01:29AM

I was only introduced to WAMP5 two days ago and tried installing Version 1.6.1 on a Windows Server 2003. The O/S was a fresh install with no web/mail/dns/ftp services running. Windows Server 2003 Pro was updated with service pack 1 and all critical updates. It is not 'live' so no major drama.

A young guy was helping me try to sort out why I could get only one service of two running, MySQL was ok, but Apache was no-go.

Finally, I downloaded Wamp5 Version 1.6.0 and everything is working fine as far as I can tell.

Not been having too much luck updating recently. phpMyAdmin 2.8.0.1 and it's very 'pretty' but is full of bugs (bit like Wamp5 1.6.1 !). Reverted to phpMyAdmin 2.6.4-pl4 on my live installation and everything is fine. Have not tried the version packaged with Wamp5 1.6.0 yet.

Date: March 17, 2006 02:18AM

Windows 2k3 comes with IIS, wich uses the same port as apache, so if IIS is running, apache will not start. you need to stop and/or disable IIS before apace will start.

Posted by: SighKick (---.com)
Date: March 17, 2006 08:07AM

CyberSpatium :

Yep, you are correct, two webservers would not co-exist on the same server and hope to use the same port.

That is why when I loaded 2k3 Enterprise Edition I didn't load ANY SERVICES AT ALL. No IIS6, No DNS, No FTP or SMTP nothing, nada, zilch, ZERO.

And yes, the first thing I checked was if IIS6 had loaded - not even a mention of it in SERVICES,

So, Wamp5 1.6.1 loaded MySQL fine, Apache 2 didn't even appear in the services.

Wamp5 1.6.0 loaded both MySQL AND Apache 2 loaded 100%

What do we deduce here? That there is something wrong with the install of 1.6.1 - Just thought you guys would like to know. If not, no worries, 1.6.0 works just fine.

Posted by: codrut (194.105.19.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:28PM

I think there's really some problems with this verion.

I've used many versions of WampServer until now, the last one wich worked best was 1.4.1. There were some older versions with problems (mainly because of mysql change to 4.x) ... but all worked (with little tweaks). The wamp 1.6.1 has some apache problems:

I've installed wamp and all goes perfect... services are ok, logs shows that apaches runs ... and so on .. but when I try to load the localhost into the browser the page won't load...
So from what I can tell the Apache server run, but it doesn't respond to any request.
I've tryed changing the listen port, and some other stuff to do a little debug... no results.

Is anyone else experiencing this kind of problemm? All seems ok, but in fact it doesn't work only the mysql server.

[romania.pentru-toti.ro]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.