WampServer 64-bit v3.1.0 Malwarebytes and Acronis True Image 2018 Ransomware Conflict
Posted by: bill@wgvallance.com (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 08:08PM

I installed WampServer 64-bit on a new Windows 10 machine this past week AFTER having installed my usual load of utilities, including Malwarebytes 3.4.4 and Acronis True Image 2018. I then installed WampServer 64-bit v3.1.0 on the machine as well as WordPress 3.9.4. When I ran the WordPress default TwentySeventeen theme the load time for any page was between 3 - 5 seconds! It should have been less than 400ms!

After a couple of days troubleshooting WampServer I discovered that it wasn't WampServer at all. It was a conflict between the ransomware protection I had enabled in BOTH Malwarebytes and Acronis True Image 2018. What had me really stumped is that I had installed the exact same WampServer and WordPress environment on an existing Windows 7 64-bit machine last week and page load times were in the expected sub-400ms range. What had changed between the Windows 7 machine and the Windows 10 machine that caused the page load delay was the installation of Acronis 2018 on the Windows 10 machine. The Windows 7 machine uses True Image 2014; the Windows 10 machine uses True Image 2018.

The difference between Acronis 2018 and 2014 is that 2018 has a new ransomware feature that 2014 doesn't have. I enabled the 2018 ransomware feature because of its ability to instantly stop zero-day ransomware. What I discovered this morning is that the COMBINATION of Malwarebyutes ransomware and True Image 2018 ransomware are what caused WampServer to delay page load times to 3 - 5 seconds. I discovered this when I temporarily disabled Malwarebytes and the WordPress load times returned to their expected sub-400ms load times.

I still wanted to keep the Malwarebytes ransomware protection turned on, so I excluded the WampServer bin, cgi-bin, logs, scripts, and temp folders from all Malwarebytes activities. I initially excluded these folders from every Malwarebytes activity EXCEPT the ransomware and I still experienced 3 - 5 second page load times. When I excluded these folders from ALL Malwarebytes activities, INCLUDING ransomware, the WordPress sub-400ms page load times returned. That told me that the True Image 2018 ransomware protection was the culprit in slowing down WampServer.

I've submitted this post in the hope that those of you that are running both Malwarebytes and Acronis True Image 2018 will be able to fix your page load times without having to spend any time troubleshooting WampServer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WampServer 64-bit v3.1.0 Malwarebytes and Acronis True Image 2018 Ransomware Conflict
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2018 09:54AM

Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to document this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Re: WampServer 64-bit v3.1.0 Malwarebytes and Acronis True Image 2018 Ransomware Conflict
Posted by: bill@wgvallance.com (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: March 30, 2018 04:59PM

Sure. Just repaying all those that have helped me. :>winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.