WAMP on Windows 10 no go
Posted by: JohnD2117 (---.host-117-104-182.compassnet.co.nz)
Date: February 07, 2018 05:46AM

Hi, I've just installed WAMP on my Windows 10 desktop. When I click the icon I get an empty command window, and then it closes. I don't get a green icon in the tray. I thought this was all automatic. What have I done wrong?

regards John.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP on Windows 10 no go
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2018 09:06AM

Hi,

Have you looked in the hidden icons window of the notification area?
Click the vertical chevron to the left of the notification area:

then drag and drop Wampmanager icon in the tray:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: JohnD2117 (---.host-117-104-182.compassnet.co.nz)
Date: February 08, 2018 06:46AM

Yes I did check there.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2018 10:38AM

Hi

Did you read the first dialog from the install.

It talks about making sure that you have all the possible required MSVC C/C++ runtimes installed.

Windows 10 does not come with all these installed. See This STICKY Post for help

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: JohnD2117 (---.host-117-104-178.compassnet.co.nz)
Date: February 08, 2018 09:19PM

I found WAMP through Google and downloaded and installed strait from Source Forge. Should I uninstall and start again from the begging? Or is it possible to recover it while WAMP is still installed?

Posted by: JohnD2117 (---.host-117-104-178.compassnet.co.nz)
Date: February 08, 2018 09:22PM

As an after thought the installation is 64 bit, would it be better to change it to a 32 bit installation.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2018 09:43PM

Hi,

Better to uninstall Wampserver, then
- Verify that all VC ++ packages are installed and with the latest versions.
To do this, use the tool:
Checks VC++ packages installed
And you will find all the packages on [wampserver.aviatechno.net] in section Visual C++ Redistribuable Packages
Do not forget that if you have a 64 bit Windows, you must install both 32 and 64 bit versions of each package.
You must install each package "as an administrator", so right-click the exe file and then run as Administrator.
Do not use a previously loaded tool. Make a new download to make sure you are using the correct version.

After the tool give the right answer :
All VC++ packages needed to Wampserver are installed correctly
install Wampserver as an administrator.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: JohnD2117 (---.host-117-104-176.compassnet.co.nz)
Date: February 08, 2018 11:42PM

Thanks for that. I completely uninstalled all files, ran CCleaner registry cleaner and installed the complete package of VC++ packages. Then I reinstalled WAMP. I have a green icon now.

Regards John.

Posted by: JohnD2117 (---.host-117-104-176.compassnet.co.nz)
Date: February 09, 2018 02:14AM

Everything seems to work fine, but to access my test site from laptop I have had to enter the test site in the hosts file on the laptop. Is this correct, or have I missed a parameter change?

John

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2018 11:47AM

Hi

If you created a Virtual Host for your project (and you should for each new project) then yes amending the hosts file on the other PC's that want to access your site (Apache) as a pseudo central server is the correct thing to do.

Of course the Big Boys solution would be to amend your local DNS Server which all your internal PC's used as their DNS Server. But of course most of us dont have a local DNS Server, and dont want to get into that level of complexity. So the simple solution is to add a line to each of the other PC's HOSTS file so they know where to go to find the domain you created by creating a Virtual Host.

For others that may find this question, here is an example.

Assume your Virtual Host in Apache defines `ServerName project1.test`
and that your WAMPServer PC has an ip address of `192.168.0.10`

Then you would add this to your `\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts` file on the WAMPServer machine so that when you browse to that site on the WAMPServer PC you would get to the right site

192.168.0.10 project1.test

So on each of the other PC's in your network that want to access the `project1.text` site, you add the same line to the HOSTS file on all those PC's as well.

Windows caches results from all DNS accesses, so it does not have to ask a DNS server more than once per boot session for the same ip address for a domainname you already accesses.
When windows boots, it read the HOSTS file and seeds the dns cache with anything it finds in there.

Or you can refresh the DNS Cache manually after changing the HOSTS file from a command prompt started using the "Run as Administrator" option like this

>net stop dnscache
>net start dnscache

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 11:52AM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: JohnD2117 (---.host-117-104-177.compassnet.co.nz)
Date: February 09, 2018 10:47PM

Thank you for your help. I think I've sorted all my problems to date. Yea right!!!smiling smiley

Regards Jpohn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.