WAMP 5 - 1 of 2 services but Both are running?
Posted by: sbtoade (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 11:15PM

Hello All,

I've just installed the latest WAMP5 1.6.1 as well as the PHP 4.4.2 and mysqladmin 1.6.1.

I slogged through all the usual configuration and root password issues with running phpMyAdmin under PHP 4 and PHP 5, and finally got it all to work!

I restarted my windows xp pro machine - manually started WAMP5 - And it says "1 of 2 services are running" - Looking a little closer it "says" that the server is running but NOT MySQL - Yet, MySQL IS running.

I can administer databases using phpMyAdmin, and the Windows Task Manager has a mysqld-nt.exe process running.

I've stopped IIS 5 from running at boot, so I don't think there is a conflict there.

Any suggestions? or should I just try to ignore it?

Thanks if anyone can help!

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP 5 - 1 of 2 services but Both are running?
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 04:35AM

do you have skype installed, or norton firewall?

Date: March 05, 2006 05:14AM

No to both.

I've just got trend-micro running for anti-virus and firewall - and it worked fine on a laptop that I installed the same setup on.

The laptop never had IIS 5 enabled - but I'm pretty sure that I removed all vestiges(sp) of it on my current machine. It only starts now if I ask it to.

One thing I'm not sure about though -- when I added the add-ons PHP 4 and mysqladmin, I'm not sure if I totally diasabled the WAMP setup - ie, I might have had it running?

I uninstalled everything, since I had additional errors installing Drupal (which worked fine on the laptop), and I'm going to give it another shot in the morning.

I'll do it again, but this time reboot between changes in the config files, and add-ons.

Thanks for your response - I'll post an update if anything works

Thanks for your response CyberSpatium!

Steve

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 05:45AM

if you have IIS running, it uses the same port 80 as apache, so apache will not start if some other program is using port 80.

Try to change the Llisten To settings in your httpd.conf. change:

Port: 80

To:

Port: 8080

Save the file, restart apache, and try to access your server by using:
[localhost]

Post Edited (03-05-06 07:22)

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP Forum Admin

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Date: March 05, 2006 04:49PM

Hi CyberSaptium,

Thanks for your response - but I have disabled automatic startup of IIS to avoid the two port shuffle. Once I got everything working, then I was thinking about possibly changing the listen to settings. IIS is NOT running.

But NOW I've got even bigger problems!

Yesterday, I was able to complete a basic WAMP install with PHP 5. Everything worked fine. phpMyAdmin played nice with the server - phpinfo was fine. Everything worked well!

I then added PHP4 - Again, everything worked fine!

I finally ran phpMyAdmin on PHP4, and changed the root password. Here I got the usual issues with the phpMyAdmin config file. I updated the file and redid the password with MySQL Admin per the post at [forums.mysql.com]

This is what I used to get the system working on my laptop.

IT WORKED FINE! - I was now able to run both PHP4 and PHP5 AND phpMyAdmin would admininister mySQL under both scenarious

I was a happy camper. However, upon system reboot - I got the 1 of 2 services running error, and I posted to this forum.

I uninstalled everything - did an XP system restore - cleaned up any stray fragments and reinstalled WAMP this morning.

However - NOW, instead of starting correctly, I immediately got the same error (1 of 2 services running) - This is now with the basic install, without any add-ons.

I would have thought this would haved worked wihout any problems?

Wouldl anyone know if there some registry entries made by WAMP that I should try to remove to get a truly clean install?

Also, this system HAD a previous install of PHP4.3.3, phpMyAdmin and MYSQL4.0.26nt that ran under IIS 5 quite successfully. I removed it prior to the WAMP install because I wanted to try to keep it "clean" and avoid any conflicts.

I thought I removed all the config files and registry entries but maybe there is still some stuff left?? Any ideas on registry edits to clean this stuff out?

It seems that my system is now foobar'd and is resisting a sucessful WAMP install. (If it didn't work so easily on my laptop I would have given up long ago)

Sorry for the long post, but I'm not sure what else I can do?

Thanks if you can help!

Steve

PS - even though it says that mySQL isn't working - when I run phpMyAdmin, it works fine and lets me look at the databases.

PPS - Yesterday when I was playing with the database priviledges it "seemed" that the changes made in phpMyAdmin were not "seen" when I used mySQLAdmin, but maybe I just didn't flush the cache? or are there two places where permission are kept?

Posted by: wandererm (---.Dorm10.NCTU.edu.tw)
Date: March 05, 2006 04:58PM

I have undergone the same problem.
it's because of the skype,so i reintall the apache service.
it ran well. but after reboot,
I meet the same situation.
then i opened the ApacheMoniotor,
Find the i runs the apache but not the wampapache.
so i disable the apache in services.
and the wampapache worked again.

sorry for my poor english,I comes from Taiwan. : )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.