mysql and phpmyadmin
Posted by: erifneerg (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 07:50AM

when i goto phpmyadmin i get this warning on the bottom of the main page

"Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole."

I'm rather new to wamp and would really like to use something else then the root account to login to the database. How would I change the password for the root account and add another account using wamp?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mysql and phpmyadmin
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 10:18AM

search these forums for setting root passwords for mysql.

Posted by: atat (195.252.93.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:15AM

1. open your phpmyadmin homepage (or click on small home icon under the phpmyadmin logo)
2. click on 'privileges' icon on main menu
3. click on 'add a new user'
4. select 'any host' if you want to access from network via ip or domain or 'local' if you want to access from local machine
5. select/deselect grants
6. click 'go'
7. test your new password if everything is ok then remove 'root'

Posted by: pete (---.gtcust.grouptelecom.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 05:05PM

you can either leave root with no password but make it so it can only be accessed localy (loopback: 127.0.0.1) or you can set a password and for each individual project you make, create a new user with its own username and password.

mysql administrator works really well for this but so do other tools like SQLYog. I myself haven't used phpmyadmin much at all..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.