Dreameaver Lynda.com
Posted by: Jacky (---.bulldogdsl.com)
Date: March 03, 2006 05:55PM

Hi

I have come to this site as I was recommended to load WAMP by PHP Essential Training by Lynda.com.

I have been using Dreamweaver to put up simple sites. www.swcw.co.uk for my son. This may mean that I have something using port 80. I do not know where or what port 80 is. The course says that it should load as easily as some in this forum say it does. And if it does do some research. So here I am.

Lynda recommended that Wamp be installed into a different Programs file so I have created a separate one.
The trainer says that he has 20 or more virtual hosts on his machine and therefore just copies the virtual host details without much explanation but with much conversation about various different methods. I simply want one which I can copy.

I do hope to locate a Dreamweaver user. I t would be my wish to continue using IIS as a testing site so that I can hit f12 to display.

Can you either assist me or can you direct me to where I can get the information.

All the Best
Jacky Kenna.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dreameaver Lynda.com
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 11:51AM

I have no clue what you are asking? why do you need to change port 80? what do you need help with with dreamweaver?

Date: March 04, 2006 02:21PM

Hi

I am not a computer expert but I publish a magazine using all the appropriate programs so I am not a complete idiot but I can not follow the following.

These are verbatim directions from the Lynda.com.PHP.Essential.Training by Brian Maxx which follow the installation of WAMP.

I actually use a virtual host I have this information in another note pad file and I place it at the very end of this file here
You can specify a server name and if you have a special host then you can put that host or whole url name the domain name. 1

The document root is important This is where is mine is going to be and if you look at the Dreamweaver videos you can see that this is my path.2
I have an index.php file which is going to be the default there and you can actually move it to the front if it is not there. Space delaminated so you put whatever you want there. That’s really all you need there. Plus your IP address it could be one mine happens to be 114. You could just use local host it doesn’t really matter. But this is how I would set up a virtual host if you want to go to an outside directory. 2
There are other ways to get this started but I have a lot of hosts on this machine or a lot of different folders that I am going to be working with and I need one virtual host and I have a least 20 on this machine.4

And this all separate from other Apache installs that you nay have. So once you save that file you have to actually come down there and you don’t click it you hold the button there to get wamp server to work for you and then you go to apache and you just restart the service.

If you have made a mistake a syntax error in your ini file 5 then it won’t load. You have to actually check some things but if you just did it in a normal way you shouldn’t get errors but you would have to research it if it didn’t start.6

1<< Where do I get a server name from? Where did you get “intro2php.invisiontek.office” Where is it located?>>
2<<Where does “Apachee2webs\learning_php” come from>>
3<< “it doesn’t really matter” is very vague what I need is clear directions. >>
4 <<Fine but I do not and I have bought this course to learn >>
5 << You have given no directions for any INI file configuration>>
6 << What is the normal way.>>

I have Dreamweaver 8.
I have windows XP
I have made simple HTML sites.
I use IIS as a test site.
I use C:\Inetpub
After installing WAMP I get_
“you are not authorised to view this page” when I hit Local host in the tray.
“The page cannot be found” when I hit sqlitemanager or phpmyadmin in the tray.
I can still see my html sites in IIS.

I notice that on Brian Maxx’s screen Examples Phpmyadmin and sqlmanager are in WWW yet when I load they are one up in WAMP. Does this make a difference? I assume that the Examples are loaded later.

Looking at the tray I see that one service is running. I do not know which one. I have clicked on start all services but it makes no difference

I am not sure if the directions above are required if I am using IIS. Can I run Wamp and use C:\Inetpub and IIS?

I have also read that it is not advised to use Skype at the same time and I therefore assume that there must be other such programs which should be avoided. Does this mean that Skype can not be used. Some people use that as their main communication to other parts of the world.

With great respect but I have bought Lynda.com.PHP.Essential.Training because of the reputation of the company Using WAMP has been recommended by Brian Maxx who praises the product. I have great respect for creaters of these programs and for those who work to pass on knowledge and I am sure that once this obstacle is overcome then Lynda.com.PHP.Essential.Training will be excellent bit till then I am stuck.

I am upset at the above. I would be pleased if anyone can direct me for here.

I would like step by step instructions.

Jacky Kenna
London

Date: March 04, 2006 04:38PM

Q.> I have windows XP, I use IIS as a test site.
A.) I doubt you have IIS installed if you are using windows XP. IIS does not come with XP, but does come installed on WIndows 2000, and 2003. IIS is a webserver, not a test site. If you actually do have IIS installed, make sure it is not running while you are trying to run apache, or apache will not start. they both use port 80, and if one is using that port, the other will not be able to use it.

Q.> After installing WAMP I get “you are not authorised to view this page” “you are not authorised to view this page”
A.) This one is simple, you will get this message when you try to access your localhost, and you do not have apache running. you need to start apache first then access your webpage.

Q.> I notice that on Brian Maxx’s screen Examples Phpmyadmin and sqlmanager are in WWW yet when I load they are one up in WAMP. Does this make a difference? I assume that the Examples are loaded later.
A.) the creater of WAMP has setup an alias to point to your location of sqliteamdin and phpmyadmin. you do not need to change anything.

Q.> Looking at the tray I see that one service is running. I do not know which one. I have clicked on start all services but it makes no difference
A.) click on the WAMP tray icon to start and stop apache and mysql. see which is running, and which is not.

Q.> I am not sure if the directions above are required if I am using IIS. Can I run Wamp and use C:\Inetpub and IIS?
A.) You will need to change the default port for apache or IIS to something else so they can work together. they both use the same port 80, so if one is already running the other will not start.

Q.> I have also read that it is not advised to use Skype at the same time and I therefore assume that there must be other such programs which should be avoided. Does this mean that Skype can not be used. Some people use that as their main communication to other parts of the world.
A.) True, Skype is set to use port 80, which is the same port as webservers use. make sure it is not running, or your webserver will not start

Date: March 04, 2006 05:24PM

Hi Again

Thanks for you advice and time.

I have gone to Internet Information Services
Located Web Sites Default web site (currently running) right clicked and stopped.
Exited file. Skype and VOIP are closed.

I went to hover on the WAMP tray I see that one of 2 services running.
I click on Restart all services, check again and it’s the same.
I close the machine.
Restart and check that Skype and VOIP are closed.
Check that IIS is still not running.
I uninstall and re install wamp together with PHP 4 4.2 add on.
Hovering I get one of two services running
I believe that that Apache is not running as Start Stop and Restart are greyed out. Nothing happens when I click install under Apache.

On another count I have used IIS with Dreamweaver and Skype and VOIP at the same time. It would be unacceptable if I have to stop Skype to use Wamp. I have read that there are other ports though I have no idea how to access or assign them.

Any more ideas.

Date: March 05, 2006 04:42AM

you need to stop skype from running. skype and apache use the same port, 80. if skype is running and using that port, then apache will not start.

Posted by: dapex (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 12:37PM

I use dreamweaver and wamp with no problems on basic HTML stuff, I am curreently having issues with PHP commands though. I use WAMP as my testing server and if you have IIS installed it could be causing you some issues with apache. I couldn't get apache to work for the first few installs of wamp. I then found out that I had previously installed apache into a different folder and so it was causing issues.

My only real advice would be to uninstall IIS and wamp. then close down skyp and then install Wamp again.

Date: March 19, 2006 08:43PM

q.> I use dreamweaver and wamp with no problems on basic HTML stuff, I am curreently having issues with PHP commands though.
a.> Check out a post I made a few days ago, giving step by step instructions on getting Dreamweaver working with WAMP.

[forum.wampserver.com]

Post Edited (03-19-06 20:44)

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP Forum Admin

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.