Visual C++ problem
Posted by: peterpiper (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 20, 2017 11:55AM

I am trying to get WampServer working along with Wordpress on my PC. So far I'm not having much luck. I am unable to get Wordpress to be able to establish a database connection with the database I created through phpmyadmin in WampServer. I have been unable to locate any fixes from the Wordpress side of things, so I have been searching for any faults in the WampServer installation. The only anomaly I have been able to identify relates to the Visual C++ packages that are required. I have run the check_vcredist utility, and it idenifies one package as not installed:
VC_2013_REDIST_X64_MIN ID={A749D8E6-B613-3BE3-8F5F-045C84EBA29B}
Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013
However, when I download the package through the link provided and run the installer, I am told that the package IS present on my computer, and I am offered the options of repairing or uninstalling. I first tried repairing, but was then again told by check_vcredist that the package was not installed. So I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the package. This didn't change anything - check_vcredist still tells me that the package is not on my computer. I have no idea if this relates at all to the problem I am having with WordPress, but it is the only issue I have been able to identify so far, so I feel that I need to fix this in order to at least eliminate the possibility that it is the cause of my problems.

Here are my answers to the 13 questions in the "Before you ask a question" sticky.

1) Windows 7 64 Home Premium SP1
2) WampServer 3.1.0 64
3) Apache/2.4.27 (Win64)
4) PHP/5.6.31
5) MySQL: 5.7.19 - MySQL Community Server (GPL), Protocol version: 10
6) Tray Icon: Green, with message "All services running"
7) Only 1 active line in c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\host: 127.0.0.1 localhost
8) Yes, I have access to the Homepage WampServer. There are no error messages.
9) Yes, I have access to phpMyAdmin
10) The only error message is when running check_vcredist. The full message is:

VC_2013_REDIST_X64_MIN ID={A749D8E6-B613-3BE3-8F5F-045C84EBA29B}
Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013
**** NOT INSTALLED ****
see: [www.microsoft.com]

11) I use Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Premium 3.2.2, Windows Firewall
12) C:\wamp64\
13)No Virtual Hosts

If someone is kind enough to reply to this post, please keep in mind that I am extremely new to this - I have never done anything previously relating to server installation and my technical knowledge is virtually nil in this regard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Visual C++ problem
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2017 01:39PM

Hi,

> VC_2013_REDIST_X64_MIN ID={A749D8E6-B613-3BE3-8F5F-045C84EBA29B}
> Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013
It is ONLY the 64 bit that is not installed. The VC13 32 bit is OK.

[wampserver.aviatechno.net]

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: October 21, 2017 10:00AM

Thanks for the reply. However, the problem I'm describing is that I have installed, uninstalled and installed again the 64 bit package several times, and the checking utility still says that it is not installed. That's what the problem is, and I can't work out what to do about it.

Date: October 21, 2017 10:33AM

Hi,

All Wampserver installers and addons, all VC ++ packages must be installed "as administrator", that is to say right-click on the executable file and then "Run as administrator". Did you do it well for all files?

If you leave like this, what is or what are the problems with Wampserver; because, apart from this message saying that it is not installed, you have not talked about other problems.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: October 21, 2017 10:48AM

Yes, I did run the packages as administrator.
The problem, which may or may not be anything to do with this issue, is that I am unable to get WampServer and Wordpress to work together on my PC. When I try to install Wordpress, it says that it is unable to establish a connection with the database I created through phpmyadmin in WampServer. I have tried to find any possible solutions from the Wordpress end of things, without any luck. So, I thought that perhaps the issue was caused by a fault in my Wampserver installation. The VC ++ issue is the only thing I have been able to find so far that indicates any possible error anywhere.

Date: October 21, 2017 10:57AM

Hi,

> When I try to install Wordpress, it says that it is unable to establish a connection with the database I
Having access to PhpMyAdmin means that connections with MySQL work.
Not having access to MySQL from a WEB application, means that the connection request is incorrectly configured in the WEB application.

In addition, all WEB applications, such as Wordpress, must be installed in a VirtualHost and this VirtualHost must be created BEFORE starting the installation of WordPress.

If this was a problem with a bad installation of a VC ++ package, the error message would instead indicate that a dll file is missing.

Date: October 21, 2017 11:01AM

Thanks for the clarification. Now I will have to try to understand what a Virtual Host is and how to set it up.

Posted by: peterpiper (---.bras1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: October 22, 2017 11:26AM

Thanks for all your help. Setting up a Virtual Host worked perfectly and I now have Wordpress up and running. However, I am rather bemused. Before posting here I read a number of online tutorials on how to install Wordpress, including one recommended on the Wordpress forum. None of these tutorials mentioned the need for a Virtual Host. Indeed, the words "Virtual Host" do not appear anywhere in any of them. They all specify only 2 steps - first install Wamp, then install Wordpress in the localhost/www/ folder. It seems really strange to me that no-one at all on these non-Wamp sites mentioned the need for a Virtual Host, when it appears to be essential.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2017 11:27AM by peterpiper.

Date: October 22, 2017 11:58AM

Hi,

Thank you.
Indeed, it is imperative, to avoid future problems, that WordPress (But it is valid for all CMS and WEB applications) is installed in a VirtualHost that must exist before installation.
Almost everyone, including "experts" forget that when you install at a host, we install in a VirtualHost. This is not indicated as such, but it is, for all real sites, VirtualHost.

I have already made this remark several times to sites that explain how to install a particular CMS in a local server.
The English is not my native language, perhaps I expressed badly, but it has not been changed on these sites.

I sometimes feel like Don Quixote and fight against windmills.
Fortunately on this forum in English, RiggsFolly (Whose English is the native language) can give more easily relevant explanations.
I thank him warmly.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2017 01:04PM

Oto,

You don't do a bad job either. Much better than my French that is for sure.

Peter,

In the strictest sense it is not absolutely a requirement.
However, as WAMPServer uses the www folder for its own use i.e. the homepage with all its useful bits an pieces, if you overwrite the www folder you destroy all access to the WAMPServer homepage.
For this reason we strongly suggest that you dont install anything into the www folder or make any changes to what is in there in any way.
Many WAMPServer users are developers, and will have multiple sites that they develop and or maintain. This makes using the www folder completely inadequate. Using a seperate Virtual Host for each of these sites makes life much much easier.

So we used to suggest that you create your projects in a subfolder of the www folder eg www\site1 www\site2 and so forth. Accessing them as `localhost/site1` BUT in the case of WordPress and other similiar CMS's and Framework's this causes it's own issues when it comes to moving your code to a LIVE Host server.
We got lots of help requests based on issues caused by directory levels being different when the code gets moved to a LIVE hosting package, where of course you are placing your site code in a `htdocs` folder which looks like you are the only owner of the web server. In fact you are sharing an Apache server with as likely as not, hundreds of other sites. The hosting companies are in fact giving you a `Virtual Host` on one of there Apache web servers.

If you read this sticky post it will I hope explain these issues.

So to mitigate these many similiar and unnecessary issues, all of which were brought about by the lack of experience of those using web technology for the first time, we decided to make the only recomended method of installing ANY web site, but specifically applications like WordPress that of using a Virtual Host. This reduces almost all of these unnecessary issues.

In fact we recommend using a Virtual Host for each and every one of your project regardless of whether you develop them from scratch or from a CMS or Framework.

There is also a hidden bonus to using a Virtual Host, that being that you can in fact place the folder holding your site code in any folder on any drive on your computer. I for example place all my site code on my D: drive in a folder called D:\websites
EG
`D:\websites\site1\www`
`D:\websites\site2\www`
etc etc

Finally, please remember, the world and his neighbour like to post stuff on their blogs to make it sound like they know what they are talking about. But their prime purpose is to get clicks so their advertising generates revenue. These clicks will generate revenue regardless of whether the content of the article is well researched or not. In most cases it is copied from some other site that also cares more about advertising revenue than the accuracy of their content or advice.

90% of the WAMPServer advice out there is complete rubbish.
the other 9% is well intensioned but still basically wrong or bad advice

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.