wamp 3.1.0 want to test wordpress site on android hone
Posted by: btorrance (---.hsd1.oh.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2017 05:57AM

I have wamp 3.1.0 and im trying to test the wordpress site i am working on, on my android phone. I open cmd and run ipconfig, get my local ip and se that in my phones browser. I get forbidden you dont have permission to access / on this server.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wamp 3.1.0 want to test wordpress site on android hone
Date: October 01, 2017 07:15AM

Let me clear a few thing up. I followed all the step in The Need for Virtual Hosts. Set up went great. I can access webpage on local machine just typing in the created web address. When i go to test on my android phone i get

This site can't be reached

server dns address could not be found

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: October 01, 2017 05:21PM

Hi,

We must stop thinking that the creation of a local site accessible from the local server, even if created as VirtualHost, can be accessed from any other PC or smartphone around the world.

To access the sites around the world, you must pass through a DNS :
Domain Name System (or Service or Server), an Internet service that translates domain names into IP addresses. Because domain names are alphabetic, they're easier to remember. The Internet however, is really based on IP addresses. Every time you use a domain name, therefore, a DNS service must translate the name into the corresponding IP address. For example, the domain name www.example.com might translate to 198.105.232.4.

Is there a DNS server on your machine?
No.

This is why you have as a response to your connection attempt: server: dns address could not be found

Creating local sites as VirtualHost is the first necessary but not sufficient step.

The second thing to do is to allow the VirtualHost to be accessed from IPs other than the local ones.
If you have created your VirtualHost in the right way, you should have for this one, in the structure <Directory ....> ... </ Directory> the Apache directive
Require local
to which you must add the access authorization directive from some LAN IP, including that of your Android smartphone to obtain:

Require local
Require ip 192.168.0

it being understood that 192.168.0 gives the range of the IP in which is that of your smartphone in the LAN

the third thing to do is, from the smartphone, to call the site on the LAN IP address of the PC that contains the local server with the site, for example:

'http://192.168.0.10/mysite/'

192.168.0.10 is the LAN IP of the PC.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: October 01, 2017 09:05PM

yes this does work, and this is a step i did last night after posting this. When I use the ip adress/mysite, like i said, it does load the page but not any of the media. Obviously the page has alot of php script, and when loading the page it will not get the header or footer or any of the pictures and media.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.