HTTP 404 - File not found error
Posted by: Martin (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 12:54PM

Hi all

I am very new to al of this so if I ask a sille question then please excuse.

Right here go. I have installed WAMP on my work laptop(XP PROF) with no problems.

I have tried to install it on my home pc as well and the installation went fine. Ehen however I tried to access [localhost] ( or using pc name/127.0.0.1) I recieve the following error : HYYP 404 - File not found. And there are also two adbanners for smiley faces on the same page!!

It is driving me insane as I cannot get rid of it to access my localhost.

I did have Skype installed, but have now removed it and also tried to access localhost by disabling my firewall.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HTTP 404 - File not found error
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 04:33PM

is apache running? you can not access the webpage unless apache is on.

Posted by: Martin (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 07:08PM

Howsat man

Thanks for the feedback. I had a look and you are right, Apache is not running. The Start/Resume service is highlighted, but when I select it, nothing happens. The only other possible options are to Install or remove Apache. I have also tried stopping and then restarting all services, but again no luck. Maybe I am missing some setting hidden deep away somewhere?Martin wrote:

Date: February 27, 2006 09:11AM

when you start apache and mysql, they dont start up like other programs such as MS Outllook. When you start apache and mysql you will see an icon on the bottom right side of your screen that will tell you if none, one, or both mysql and apache are running.

If your icon says 2 services runing, then you are ok, both mysql and apache are running.

Posted by: Martin (195.153.5.---)
Date: February 27, 2006 02:24PM

Thanks dude

I remember that only the Mysql was running. I have seen some others issues posted here regarding Apache not starting up, so I will try some of the suggested solutions( apart from formatting the HDD) and see if I can get it resolved . If not then I will let the word out again tomorrow.

Thanks

Date: February 28, 2006 03:48AM

make sure you do not have skype running, and Norton Internet security is known to cause problems too.

Posted by: bloukopkoggelmander (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 08:30PM

Howzit

Just wanted to say a big thanks to CyberSpatium for all the help I got and for anyone else who was following this posting, here is what I did:

Completely uninstalled Skype.
Stopped all Wamp services.
Restarted all Services

Hey presto, Bob's your uncle!!!!!!! All sorted

Thanks guys!!

M.J.v.N

Date: February 28, 2006 11:20PM

W2G, good to hear

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.