Can WAMP work without Port Forwarding?
Posted by: Kirk Fraser (209.34.136.---)
Date: December 29, 2016 05:24AM

Hi,

I am hooked up to a rural ISP through a neighbor which is cheap but their radio modem has no port forwarding. is there a way WAMp can work without Port Forwarding? I know this ISP often drops out so my websites can't be up 24x7 like they used to be but if there is a way to make it work at all, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kirk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can WAMP work without Port Forwarding?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2016 02:08PM

If you mean can your site be seen from the internet without port forwarding. That depends upon how their modem works.
I know nothing about your modem.

This is not strictly a WAMPServer issue. So I suggest you look at the documentation for your neibours modem

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Kirk Fraser (209.34.136.---)
Date: December 30, 2016 06:09PM

Actually it is a WAMPServer issue because anything else on the internet comes through and sees me typing into their webpages and uploads my files. Gmail for example can tell when I am logged in from different computers. And occasionally a hacker gets through and looks at files and worse. Maybe there is a setting on WAMP to make it operate without Port Forwarding?

I have not only checked the documentation on the rural radio modem, I have contacted the manufacturer's tech support (in India or someplace) which said point blank they do not have port forwarding.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2016 06:25PM

Hi,

> Actually it is a WAMPServer issue because...
NO.
Wampserver is delivered "out of the box" with a total ban of access from outside.
You have made changes to open the server from the outside; This is YOUR problem and absolutely no problem with wampserver.
If you do not have the ability to set up your modem / router, you must use a web host for your sites and develop them only locally.

One possibility exists. This is to leave for wampserver the total access ban (Require all denied) and declare all your local sites as VirtualHost and allow only a few IPs for VirtualHost.
However, without Port forwarding on the modem, this will not prevent access to your PC by everyone.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.