Wamp - how to use maximum local HW resources for fast overnight procesing
Posted by: wendrem (---.dynamic.chello.sk)
Date: September 25, 2017 12:46AM

Hello,

I have a problem with using all of my hardware resources by Wamp server. I have local computer for testing - I need simulating one month procesing of some kind of PHP bot through testing data. I usually run this task overnight for 10 hours. my php bot use just PHP and Mysql, one simple iteration took about 20 seconds.

My porblem is, that I have 64GB RAM on my PC and wamp use only 4 GB ram - i have no idea how to increase using RAM and end the end - if it will be helpful ...

Who is resonsible for the ram using - php, apache or mysql ?

I have also 4core CPU and wamp using just one core /17% of my CPU/ - but I read about it something and it's OK - PHP = no multithreading. and there is HDD in M2 SSD - it's fast.

is there any way how to use more RAM ? will be PHP procesing faster or not ?

please how I can use all my HW resources for these local overnight simulations ? I need boost my local PHP server and I have no idea how I can do it.

thanks.

Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp - how to use maximum local HW resources for fast overnight procesing
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2017 09:37AM

Hi,

> My porblem is, that I have 64GB RAM on my PC and wamp use only 4 GB ram
Windows 64 bit ?
Wampserver 64 bit ?

If you want to use more than 4 GB RAM, you MUST use a 64 bit system.

In addition, Wampmanager (Wampserver) itself uses very little memory and does not need to be allocated more memory, it is useless.
It is up to Apache, PHP, MySQL or MariaDB to allocate memory, and only on condition that it is 64-bit versions and, for PHP it is a version 7.0.0 or more

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 01:18PM by Otomatic.

Date: September 25, 2017 08:50PM

Hi

thanks for your advice.

I have windows 10 pro64 bit and also wamp server 64 bit.

I changed PHP version to 7.0.10 and PHP memory_limit to: "20G" value for local testing (all changes was applied and it's shown in: phpinfo(); )

++ other information: Apache version 2.4.23, MySQL version: 5.7.14, wampserver 3.0.6

I have still same information in windows task manager -> Performance section - Memory is used for 7% 4.3/62.9GB and CPU (one logical procesor from 8 logical procesors: for 100%) in the end 17% of my CPU.

it means that more HW resources are not needed (4GB RAM is enough) and I cant proces 10 hours task faster (because "PHP" ?) ?

I have zero knowledge about server configurations. can I increase another limit except "memory_limit" in PHP (in apache or mysql) for alocated more resources for these parts ?

many thanks

peter

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2017 09:36PM

Hi,

> can I increase another limit except "memory_limit" in PHP (in apache or mysql)
> for alocated more resources for these parts ?

For a very long time, I have been instructed to answer that if I am sure of my answer, that I know the solution to the problem.
I only use PHP, Apache, or MySQL processes that do not require a lot of resources, so I have never been interested in their allocations.
I do not know what parameters MySQL or Apache should act on, so I'm afraid I can not help you on this subject.
You do not risk much, given your availability in memory, to increase the values for MySQL parameters like:
key_buffer_size, sort_buffer_size, net_buffer_length, read_buffer_size and so on and almost same parameters for innodb if you use it.

See Optimization chapter in MySQL documentation : [dev.mysql.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: September 25, 2017 10:22PM

Hi

thanks for your time and answers.

if somebody else know how to build fast PHP machine based on Wamp server please help. I'm not so happy that I use my PC for 15% and I'm waiting for results 10 hours ;o) I want to reconfigure wamp server to achieve the goal -
use my PC for 80% and waiting about 2 hours for results of php procesing.

Peter

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: September 26, 2017 01:19AM

Hi wendrem

Its really difficult to diagnose (without any real information) why your jobs are taking so long.

There is only one way to improve things and that is to work out what it is that is taking the largest amount of time to process.
Throwing a 2G memory limit at PHP is very unlikely to solve anything.

So basically until you can identify where the bottle neck is we cannot help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.