Apcha doesn't show up
Posted by: Matt (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 25, 2006 12:19AM

[www.harvestourdemons.com]

I was running Wamp server for about 2 weeks now. My internet went down today and apache wouldn't work. I re-installed and now it doesn't even show up as a service. What's up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Apcha doesn't show up
Posted by: RealNubSlayer (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 12:13AM

Simple, the service was removed, uninstalled, try hitting "Install Service" or redownload and install wamp

Date: February 26, 2006 05:13AM

I've done that. I've redownloaded and reinstalled several times. When I hit "Install Service" absolutely nothing happens.

Posted by: Syed (---.static.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 05:44PM

Matt,
When I ran the WAMP the apache service didnt show up on the apachemonitor.exe the database was up and running because I could connect to it with command prompt and I did set up the initial root accounts. But I couldnt pull up the web site on [localhost] or 127.0.0.1 so I went inside apache folder and tried to run apache.exe. It didnt run. So I right clicked run as different user 'administrator' and then boom it started running. I still cant see the process in Apache monitor but the basic page comes up in [localhost]. Which links to phpmyadmin which pulls up too.
Syed

Date: February 26, 2006 08:13PM

When I run Apahce.exe, a command window shows up for about a second and then closes. It says:
[www.harvestourdemons.com]

I can't run as administrator like Syed said because I don't know the administrator password. I don't think I ever set one. I built this computer for myself and have one account on it. What is the default administrator password?

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 09:06AM

the defaut admin user Root, has no set password.

Date: February 27, 2006 01:54PM

No, I'm talking about the administrator account for Windows XP Professional.

Posted by: Syed Ali (---.mtp.cmsinter.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 05:11PM

Matt,
There is no default Windows XP administrator password. You had to either leave it blank. Cyberspatium is talking about the mySQL root account has no password by default. You need your administrator password. I suggest running the process from 'SERVICES' by right clicking and running it as administrator. I am thinking the system may have overwritten or corrupted any apache config file other than httpd.conf while reinstalling. It may sound stupid but I got away reinstalling windows (clean install) and reloading WAMP and worked.

Posted by: guerncia (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 27, 2006 09:58PM

Well, I set the administrator password. It wasn't letting me run it as administrator because I left the password field blank and I guess you have to have a password. Anyways, it came up with that same error. Can you think of doing something other than reinstalling windows? I don't need this THAT bad.

Posted by: Terry Sutton (---.pppoe-dynamic.nl.aliant.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 02:57AM

Remove the files from the www folder.

Delete entire wamp folder

REstart computer

Reinstall wamp

restore files

Posted by: guerncia (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 04:41AM

Done that.
But in good news, it works! Turns out that Microsoft IIS was running. I disabled that, restarted, and it works. Thanks so much guys!

Date: February 28, 2006 01:55PM

yeah, you can not have IIS runnig, as is uses port which is the same port other webservers use like apache. so if the port is being used by IIS, then apache will not start because that port is blocked.

Apache Problem solved.
Posted by: syed (---.mtp.cmsinter.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 10:31PM

Hello Everybody,
This is also for people in future. If you have

1 IIS running you cannot run apache in the same server since IIS is using the default port for http which is 80.

However, you can go to httpd.conf and set 'listen 1080' or different port not used already and you can access the web site of apache by '192.168.XXX.XXX:1080/' or similarly '192.168.XXX.XXX:1080/' phpmyadmin/ if you have it (dont forget the slash) . I have a situation that I have to use apache in a different port because I need to have IIS running since it is a WIndows server and we use the IIS home page for contact list and so on.

Posted by: LePerdu (---.gtcust.grouptelecom.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 10:58PM

Do not use port 1080. All ports under 1024 are preset for some applications or protocols. A widely used replacement for port 80 is 8080.

Re: Apache Problem solved.
Posted by: Miah786 (---.cable.ubr01.soli.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: March 09, 2006 05:33PM

hi

ive tried changining the port once with the apache port (81 and 8080) and once with the IIS, however i had not had any luk.. i also tried disabling IIS to run apache singularly.

the problem still remains, where the apache options (on startup tray) are restricted to just "install service" and "remove service"

could somebody please resolve this teathing problem.

Date: March 09, 2006 06:56PM

after you edit httpd.conf file, you need to restart apache for the changes to take effect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.