Default site
Posted by: Agnes (130.214.25.---)
Date: February 24, 2006 11:08AM

How do I move the default path to be one of my projects, but not to the wamp default page (the one that has the links to phpmyadmin & mysql). I don't want this page to be exposed publicly.

Also, how to password-protected the default page?

Thanks a million for help first.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Default site
Posted by: RealNubSlayer (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 12:24AM

Okay most of the things you are saying i can't understand. The deafault path can be changed in your wampserver config file(its on your wamp menu, left-click)... That would change it completely, i usually dont, but it would mess up your menu, the "Open www Directory" would be still the install's directory.. Also all of the files that would be run(except for phpmyadmin, sql lite, and those tools, i think) would have to be in that folder..

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:19AM

no, do not edit the wamp server config file. you need to add an alias in your httpd.conf file or an .htaccess file to point to the location you wish to use as your default location.

Date: February 27, 2006 02:35AM

ok, I can change the path in main server configuration in httpd.conf. And how can I password-protected my site?

Date: February 27, 2006 08:51AM

use .htaccess and .htpassword, or write a php login script. or download and install an open source login project

search these forums for .htpasswd, becuase I have made a few posts helping people get that working.

Date: February 27, 2006 09:34AM

oh, thank you, able to solve it ... just curious, .htaccess file can override the settings in httpd.conf file ... sorry, I'm new to apache.

Posted by: Agnes (---.hkcable.com.hk)
Date: February 27, 2006 05:04PM

no, no, still a problem ... since my w2k server is ntfs, I'm unable to chmod 644 for the .htaccess file ... I think that's why it cant work ... can anyone tell me how to chmod in windows?

Date: February 28, 2006 03:44AM

chmod only works on linux and unix, not windows. you do not have to set chmod settings if yuou are installing a script on windows.

Posted by: hoagnes (130.214.25.---)
Date: February 28, 2006 03:57AM

but then why .htpasswd can't work. I have tried many tools to generate the encrypted password, but it still says the password not correct. I discovered everytime the generated encrytped password is different. Also the length of the password string which generated from using htpasswd.exe (in apache/bin) is also different with that generated with the online tool. Why so? Pls hlep me solve this password prolem, very annoying.

Date: February 28, 2006 02:01PM

.htaccess and .htpasswd are compatible with unix and windows because .htaccess and .htpasswd are an apache feature, not just a linux feature. They deal with the webserver. Chmod deals with file types, and linux and windows use differnet file types, and different file security types.

Make sure that your htaccess file points to the correct location for your password file location.

Also, make sure the file is called .htaccess and .htpasswd. you can not name them anything else. So, make sure that windows did not save these files as htaccess.txt for example. which will not work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.