Bullet point problem with <LI> - Virtual Host only
Posted by: StephenR (---.range86-161.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 03, 2017 08:16PM

Hello,

I am running WAMPSERVER 3.0.9 (Apache 2.4.23, PHP 5.6.25, MySQL 5.7.14) on Windows 10.

I have created a virtual host using the Virtual-Host Management Button called: [specinspector]

I have also created a separate local host called: [localhost]

The index.html file within [specinspector] and the index.html file within [localhost] contain exactly the same code, which is:-

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="zxx">
<head>

</head>
<body>
<li>qwerqwe</li>
</body>
</html>

When [specinspector] is rendered, qwerqwe appears with a bullet point preceding it
When [localhost] is rendered, qwerqwe appears without a bullet point

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

They are both running under the same web browser, IE 11.

The only thing that is different is one is running under a virtual host and the other a local host.

I have spent many days trying to work this out :-(

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bullet point problem with <LI> - Virtual Host only
Posted by: StephenR (---.range86-161.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 03, 2017 09:19PM

All, it does appear to be something to do with the browser IE 11. Not sure why

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2017 09:19PM

Hi,

You should think that when you are using a VirtualHost, you are totally "the boss" and that the style definitions (CSS, Cascading Style Sheets) are yours or those of the default ones if you have not defined them.

But when you do not use your own VirtualHost, in this case 'http://localhost/esteem/', you are using the VirtualHost localhost (Because esteem is a subfolder of localhost) and localhost has its own stylesheets that are not the default ones.

You should always set the CSS of your pages and never rely on what you think is taken by default. You must also think about what are the cascades and inheritances.

Note : The HTML <li> element represents an element of a list. This element must be contained in an ordered list (that is, within an <ol> element), in an unordered list (that is, within an <ul> ) Or in a menu (<menu> ). For menus and unordered lists, items are usually displayed after a bullet. For ordered lists, an ordinal indicator (a number or a letter) is used.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: StephenR (---.range86-189.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 15, 2017 09:54AM

Thanks very much, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Kind Regards

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.