too many problems with wampserver...
Posted by: richkin (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 03:17AM

Dear WAMP community,

I searched for a preconfigured MS-Windows-based Apache, MySQL, PHP server and found WAMP. I need a PHP "stack" that used MySQL and Apache below, so that I could set up a Content Management System (Mambo or Joomla). I thought WAMP5 would provide me with a shortcut. Alas, I was wrong. You will still need to learn how to install Apache, MySQL, and PHP manually. And (not proper English to use "and" at the start of a sentence) you need to learn many things about MySQL and PHP, and a few things about Apache.

One thing I learned about WAMP5 is that there is little to NO documentation in English or any other language. This is a major drawback that makes it VERY difficult to do much unless your application only requires the default installation parameters that are set by the WAMP script, which are not explained anywhere.

The developer of WAMP has done a nice job of creating the installation and configuration scripts but has done little to nothing to document what he/she has done in terms of those default parameters, subdirectories, and what he/she has omitted from the standard MySQL and PHP distributions. This type of documentation is critical for a stack with SO MANY changeable parameters for applications that run on top.

The first problem I encountered with the WAMP installation of MySQL is I couldn't connect to the database because of security (password) problems that are not explained anywhere on the WAMP. From reading through the Forums, many others experienced the same problems, but never got answers timely enough to make a difference. Going to the World Wider Web, I found most MySQL answers that pertain to the STANDARD installation, so many so that the explanations really only pertain to manual installations where a person must have a rather intimate knowledge of MySQL, PHP, and Apache.

If you want a tutorial of PHP over Apache, with MySQL included, see:

[www.php-mysql-tutorial.com]

Problems I found with the WAMP5 forum (and other forums) on MySQL and PHP are as follows: (sorry if you are offended or are an offender who is offended...)

FIX YOUR SPELLING IN FORUMS. ARE YOU ILLITERATE OR DO YOU JUST NOT CARE??? OR WAS ENGLISH SPELLING A THIRD LANGUAGE FOR YOU?? OR YOU THINK YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO SPELL CORRECTLY?? I cannot be the judge of your writer's cramps.

Take your time to explain your issues, problems, or solutions. It will make a huge difference to other people.

Give a complete explanation. Don't scrimp on important details (like OS platform version, WAMP version, etc.)

Tell us why you used WAMP... e.g., for a DB driven website, for a CMS app server, for an internal MySQL application.

Tell us about your problem.

Tell us the details of your solution. Including how you solved it, e.g., on your own, with help from someone in the WAMP forum, someone in another forum (give a URL).

Give us some of the details. Take time to spell correctly, use good English (or French, in the French Forum). Just give us enough details to understand what you did.

This post comes from the frustration of not enough answers from the WAMP5 website, the problems with WAMP5 using a unique set of installation parameters and directories, and few to no outside sources that jive with WAMP5 without having to go back to basic MySQL and PHP tutorials to understand how a "standard" installation is set up.

Kudos to the WAMP5 guy / team for his installation scripts and programs. It helped me understand enough about MySQL and MySQLadmin to did into the standard documentation with SOME KIND OF INSTALLATION running in the background. This is certainly better than no struggling with not knowing how to install and boot the three of them together.

Thank you. Merci Beaucoup.

A grateful and ungrateful one....

richkin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: too many problems with wampserver...
Posted by: Robert (---.pbn.com.au)
Date: February 21, 2006 05:50AM

Dear richkin.

You are full of it.

I installed WAMP on a clean Windows XP installation.
Yes - You will have problems if another program is using Port 80.
I had no problems with the default settings.
I made a blank database.
I installed Joomla. See my post a few weeks ago. I'll dig up the link later if you want.

It runs perfectly on my test PC at home.

Sorry if you are not capable of setting it up but WAMP is an installer.
It is a simple method of installing Apache, MySQL and PHP5

Its not the answer to the Meaning Of Life.
Do some study.

Re: too many problems with wampserver...
Posted by: Robert (---.pbn.com.au)
Date: February 21, 2006 05:56AM

You might find this thread interesting.

[forum.wampserver.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.