Changing URLS Breaks WAMP Wordpress Site
Posted by: spoons24 (---.abdlwi.dedicated.static.tds.net)
Date: April 20, 2017 04:14AM

1 - Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
2 - WampServer Version 3.0.6 64bit
3 - Apache Version 2.4.23
4 - PHP Version 5.6.25
5 - MySQL Version 5.7.14
6 - WampServer icon is green

I'm trying to move my wordpress website to WAMP. When I change the live website URLS from "www.livesite.com" to "localhost/myproject" I get a simplified site that just looks like a series of posts (the theme broke?). I narrowed it down to the wp_options table which, when the URLs are changed phpmyadmin, causes the break. To make the matter more frustrating, I am unable to get to the back end. When I try to go to "localhost/myproject/wp-admin" I get "This site can’t be reached" on Chrome. Any ideas on how to fix this or at least get to the administrative side to Wordpress? I've put in many hours of searching here. Please let me know.

NOTE: I am new to this forum, please let me know if there is other standard information is needed to make this a legit posting. Thank-you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 04:18AM by spoons24.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changing URLS Breaks WAMP Wordpress Site
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2017 04:09PM

Hi

First you would be well advised to create a Virtual Host in Apache for each and every one of your sites, specially as you are using a WordPress site. The Need for Virtual hosts

Secondly, moving WordPress sites is a well known problem, and well documented on The WordPress Codec and many other palces.
It is not an issue in any way related to WAMPServer.

Hope these help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 22, 2017 02:57AM

Thank-you. I was able to fix all the links and pictures on my WAMP site using the information you provided. Unfortunately the wp-login and wp-admin pages still give me"This Site Cannot be Reached" on Chrome. Thanks for the links, I'll continue searching.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2017 12:17PM

Try another browser.

Then look up "Chrome and localhost" and find the fix

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 25, 2017 02:54AM

I'm getting the same issue on Explorer and Firefox. I did notice that the wp-login link is a https:// link and wp-admin is redirecting me to https:// as well. I'm looking into that further to see if that might be the issue. Thanks for your feedback so far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.