WAMPServer 3 No notification-bar icon in Win8.1
Posted by: SampWerver (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: April 14, 2016 10:25PM

Just installed WAMPServer 3 on Win 8.1 all ok except cannot get it to start with windows. Ive tried:

1. Putting a link to the wampserver manager in the Windows startup directory

2. Manually added Mysql and Apache services to run automatically at startup.

3. Set wampserver links (right-click properties etc) to 'run as adminstrator'

4. expanded the notification bar to always show ALL icons in the notification area ALL THE TIME.

Even when WampServer Does start with windows i do not see the Red/Amber/Green icon in the notification bar (bottom right in windows).

The problem still seems to b that WampServer needs Admin permissions, as stated above, ive already set the shortcut links to 'run as adminstrator.

When i right click the wampserver link in apps it still show me the blue and yellow shield overlay over the link giving me the choice to run as administrator. This is a nuisance to say the least.

any insight please ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2016 10:29PM by SampWerver.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMPServer 3 No notification-bar icon in Win8.1
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2016 05:46PM

Hi Samp

Its a developer tool.

Its not designed to be started at boot, why would you want it to, you dont develop websites all the time.

If you want to make the wampapache(64) and wampmysqld(64) services start automatically from the services snapin, then you should not use wampmanager because it check that the services are NOT set to start automatically, so that developers dont have to worry about Apache and MYSQL always running when they need memory/resources to do other things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Re: WAMPServer 3 No notification-bar icon in Win8.1
Posted by: SampWerver (---.as13285.net)
Date: April 15, 2016 08:33PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply RiggsFolly -

I guess im used to having it startup with windows - ive always installed the indivual packages PHP, Mysql, Apache which gave me the flexibility of having apache & mysql start with windows (Some developers DO develop each time they switch on their machine) its purely subjective and depends on what type of dev environment your working in.

However i've got used to this behaviour in the last 24 hours so i guess its not such an issue.

Cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.