Embedded Videos
Posted by: Pinged (161.69.22.---)
Date: April 11, 2016 05:29PM

Hello I am very new to web development.

I am using HTML to build a website the website consists of several menus leading to a page with videos. I would prefer to use HTML5 video controllers however that wont be an option as my target audience is using I.E. 8 and likely will not update anytime soon. I am using wamps as a way to host my website only the problem I am having is that all the embedded videos I place on the site seem to not work. I am hosting from ta desktop PC that I intent to keep on and connected 24/7. The videos are also found internally on the same PC with the embedding reaching into their destination folder. This works when using localhost and when using the browser from the same PC but it seems to fail when using an other PC to try to reach the website on the host PC.

Wamps server 3
windows 7 64bit
Html 4
wamps is green

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 05:45PM by Pinged.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Embedded Videos
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2016 05:51PM

WAMPServer is configured as a single user desktop developers tool. For the security of beginners access from other PC's is disabled.

If you want your site to be accessed from other PC's, for example your local network you have to tell Apache that this is allowed.

The simple router to this is just to do this using the WAMPServer menus :

left click wampmanager->Put Online

This amends the `httpd.conf` file to allow access from anywhere in the universe.

If you want to be a little more specific you can edit the `httpd.conf` file manually and find these lines of code

#   onlineoffline tag - don't remove
    Require local

And add

#   onlineoffline tag - don't remove
    Require local
    Require ip 192.168.1

This will allow any ip address in the range 192.168.1.0 -> 192.168.1.255 to access your site.

If you have done as sugested, and created a Virtual Host for your site, then you can make this chnage to the specific Virtual Host definition for the site you want to be accessed and thus not opening Every site up to be accessed by all your local network users.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 11, 2016 06:16PM

Perhaps I should clarify,I was able to get wamps to allow access from other PC's by doing the exact steps you mentioned. However while the website is visible externally the embedded videos on the site are not.

Date: April 11, 2016 06:36PM

Then its probably something wrong with your PHP/HTML code and this site is not a PHP tutorial site I am afraid

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 11, 2016 08:05PM

It works with local host perfectly. My assumption was that the HTML was working but that maybe it was a wamps server issue.

Date: April 11, 2016 08:11PM

Never mind fixed it thanks!

Date: April 11, 2016 09:08PM

Would be interested to know what you did to correct the issue!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.